Author Topic: How to install Avast  (Read 4063 times)

Libra

How to install Avast
« on: January 12, 2005, 03:15:00 AM »
I have downloaded Avast 4.5 free to install on my other computer (XP Home SP2).  I haven't come across any installation information but have been browsing the forum.  I notice a "key" is mentioned that should be entered into the program.  I don't have any key.

Also, my mail is on AOL and is scanned so I would like to turn off e-mail scanning.  Is that possible?

Also,  I would like general set up information regarding XP SP2 and also limited users, etc.

At the present time XP has no antivirus, can I install Avast offline (I think I would need to be online to get the updates).  I am behind a software firewall and a NAT router.

I would appreciate any help you can give me so that I can install Avast.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: How to install Avast
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 03:25:06 AM »
I notice a "key" is mentioned that should be entered into the program.
Depending on your situation and what you want you can either buy a key for the Pro version, or use the free key for the home vresion. (if you comply to the license terms) For more information and/or to get a key, visit Avast's website.

Also, my mail is on AOL and is scanned so I would like to turn off e-mail scanning.  Is that possible?
Yes that is possible, but not advised. AOL may miss malware that Avast catches.

can I install Avast offline
Sure, just download Avast and install it.

Libra

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 04:00:35 AM »
Thank you for your prompt reply, Eddy.
I'll go back to Avast's site and see if I can find the key.  Do you have to register there to get the key (I noticed registration, but it said you had 60 days to register after you install the product).  If you need the key for Avast to run, that doesn't sound likely.

If I install Avast offline I imagine a reboot would be required.  Would it be all right if I shut down instead so that I could connect the ethernet adapter to get online and then start up.  Would Avast at that point automatically look for updates or do I have to go into the program somehow?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 04:05:06 AM »
I'll go back to Avast's site and see if I can find the key.  Do you have to register there to get the key (I noticed registration, but it said you had 60 days to register after you install the product).  If you need the key for Avast to run, that doesn't sound likely.

You can run the Trial version over 60 days with the 'internal' key.
To use the Home and/or Professional version you would have their proper keys.

If I install Avast offline I imagine a reboot would be required.  Would it be all right if I shut down instead so that I could connect the ethernet adapter to get online and then start up.  Would Avast at that point automatically look for updates or do I have to go into the program somehow?

Right click the 'a' blue icon.
Choose Program properties.
Check the settings into the two 'Updates' tabs.

Oh, about the reboot, no problem. You can do what you wrote.
Welcome to avast  :)
The best things in life are free.

Libra

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 04:23:00 AM »
Hi Technical,
  Thank you for the welcome and the information.  I'm pretty sure the area I downloaded from said Avast 4.5 free but I wasn't presented with any key.  I've been browsing, but I will check the site again now.
  I wrote down your info on how to update.
  Sincerely, Libra

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 04:29:58 AM »
Thank you for the welcome and the information.  I'm pretty sure the area I downloaded from said Avast 4.5 free but I wasn't presented with any key.

You're right.
One thing is download the software.
Another, different and not sequential, is to register it for free: http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG
The best things in life are free.