Author Topic: I am vulnerable to fake websites ?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline locationmarbella

I am vulnerable to fake websites ?
« on: November 29, 2023, 04:21:48 PM »
Hello,

I have the free Avast antivirus, and I received a message stating that I am being tracked on the internet, that I am vulnerable to fake websites, and that sensitive information makes me a preferred target. I have recently encountered issues with my Orange email.

Should I subscribe to a paid plan to ensure security?

Thank you for your advice and opinions.

Have a good afternoon.

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
Re: I am vulnerable to fake websites ?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 04:31:43 PM »
Everyone is vulnerable to fake websites technically, but the Avast warning is just a way to scare you into buying their premium plan.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 09:47:13 PM »
The OP also doesn't say what the circumstances of this notification were.  But it sounds more like his email address has been found on the dark web. 
So at the very least change the email password and log-on details.  But it wouldn't stop spam emails, but they wouldn't have access to the account.

Rather depends on what program version is being used, 23.11.6090 (build 23.11.8635.809) is the latest version.  Ensuring the latest program version would be a good start point

@ Dinobot2
given your response your thinking Smart Scan ?
As far as I'm aware the Real Site function is now incorporated into the Web Shield, not requiring the paid stand-alone version of Real Site.
I don't think it is, given this - "I received a message stating that I am being tracked on the internet"

But we really need more information from the OP locationmarbella
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 11:08:41 PM »
That comes up in the Smart Scan, but it also occasionally pops up randomly, along with others.

Real Site function is still a premium feature, at least it has the lock icon on the UI. I think the update to the Web Shield was specifically for Fake e-store protection which seems a bit more narrowed than Real Site broadly.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 02:43:54 AM »
If you read the OP's post and what I quoted in my reply to you.  And why I requested more info from the OP.

<snip>
@ Dinobot2
given your response your thinking Smart Scan ?
As far as I'm aware the Real Site function is now incorporated into the Web Shield, not requiring the paid stand-alone version of Real Site.
I don't think it is, given this - "I received a message stating that I am being tracked on the internet"

But we really need more information from the OP locationmarbella

We need more info from the OP rather than speculate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 03:17:21 AM »
Ok. I thought I was answering a question you had regarding where I saw those messages, and was also clearing up the Real Site function and its availability.