Author Topic: Stopping Scanner  (Read 3694 times)

MartinS

Stopping Scanner
« on: January 12, 2005, 12:46:51 PM »
Hi (again!)
One more question that arose from my incident installing Nero if you don't mind.
To turn off the scanner, i right clicked on the avast system tray icon and selected 'Stop Resident Scanner' (or something similar) which stopped all the services - fine, except when you right click again expecting it to say 'Start Resident Scanner', it doesn't - it still says Stop R..S.. and means opening the UI and enabling it there.  Is it possible to add this as an improvement - if you can stop it, then why can't you start it with the same process?  Or am I missing something?
Regards
Martin

S.Z.Craftec

Re: Stopping Scanner
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 02:06:51 PM »
I think it's a little glitch, rather than call it a bug. Alwil staff ? Can you comment on this one please ? Yes, it's not a big issue, everybody can just simply left click the avast! icon in system tray, open On-Access Scanner Window and start all those providers, but still I don't think this option should say STOP ON-ACCESS PROTECTION when it's already stopped. See attachment... It should say START ON-ACCESS PROTECTION once when it's already stopped. I don't think it should be huge problem just to change something inside the code and change that.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:08:27 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Online DavidR

• Avast √úberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 02:25:29 PM »
Left click on the avast icon so that the Resident Scanner window is displayed, select the Standard Shield and click the Start button, I thing that starting one will restart them all, see if that works for you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.8821.762) UI 1.0.796/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 02:35:59 PM »
Yes DavidR, that works for everybody, but we just wanted to point Alwil's direction that STOP ON-ACCESS PROTECTION writting is there even when on-access scanner is stopped. See avast! icon in my system tray (screenshot). Resident protection is stopped, then when I right click avast! icon again in order to see the menu, but in menu it still says STOP ON-ACCESS PROTECTION. It should say START O.A.P. once when it's already stopped.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 02:38:03 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

MartinS

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 04:36:27 PM »
Hi
Yes, that's all i was pointing out - I managed to turn it back on OK (using your method) but thought it worth mentioning that right-click would still show stop, and does nothing - can it show start, and then start when selected?
Regards
Martin

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 07:29:27 PM »
Very reasonable request, and avast! menu would really look much better in general.