Author Topic: Boot time scan deleted all my files!  (Read 42906 times)

Jelika

Re: Boot time scan deleted all my files!
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »
Update: I just found all of my documents located under: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents
There is also something call Groove Synchronization which offers the option to synchronize all of the Administrator's documents.
Should I run it?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2012, 06:22:16 PM »
When you locate the files.. Could you make a note of what the folder it is in and then use the right click to send a short cut to the desktop

When you start Dreamweaver are you able to add folders within the options settings ?

Groove synchronisation is for sharing word documents on line

Jelika

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2012, 07:09:07 PM »
I am able to shortcut some of the folders, not all of them.
As for Dreamweaver, I can't add folders. I can however retrieve single files going through the program files path but I lost all the sites setting and another weird thing is that the 'My Documents' folder is now called 'Mes Documents' as if my computer was set in French. Hum...

Update: In my search for the missing folders access I found something they all have in common. All of the files I have managed to find are located under C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator (although I see nothing when I go there manually). Which makes me wonder. Perhaps I should have copied the 'Recovery' folder shortcuts that were created under Administrator instead of my (name)?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 08:06:20 PM by Jelika »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »
That would be worth a try to see if it resolves the problem

Jelika

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2012, 10:04:47 PM »
Tried it. Sorry to say it didn't change a thing.
Anything else I can try?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2012, 10:18:35 PM »
OK I will need to check some data out for a bit on this ..  as it is not normally this convulated

Did you empty your temporary files prior to running RogueKiller ?

Jelika

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2012, 11:01:14 PM »
No. I didn't empty anything. I ran Avast in normal mode, then when prompted I did the boot-time scan and then the mess began. The only things I did was to follow your steps. Will wait for further instructions. Thanks for taking the time to help out.

Jelika

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2012, 06:00:01 PM »
Any update? I really need to figure out how to fix this mess.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2012, 07:07:49 PM »
I have as yet been unable to find anything similar to this so any resolution at this stage will be by trial and error

So lets try this option first :

Right click C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents
Select Copy
Now go to C:\Documents and Settings\Linda
Right click and select paste
This should copy everything over

Jelika

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
I do not have a folder named: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents
All of my documents are still in the recovery folder. So I tried to copy that to the target folder, didn't fix a thing.

Another thing I noticed this week is when I try to open a document (picture for example) that I located using the search function, it does not open with the program it was previously associated with but rather with a windows program. Same for videos etc. It is as if my computer had reverted to factory default. It's a real mess.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »
OK next attempt can you backup to a USB or CD all the files that you can find and create then place them in the correct folder i.e. documents, pictures,   

So create a folder on the USB called pictures and copy all the pictures into that folder

Jelika

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2012, 12:55:58 AM »
I have way too many files and folders to fit on my 4GB USB, so I tried something else which seems to have solved part of my problem.

As I mentioned previously I could locate the documents folder using the search function and typing in the direct link which was: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents

The problem was that the documents in question where now under C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\ were no 'My Documents" folder existed because it had moved under Administrator's Documents.

So I renamed the 'Administrator's Documents' folder to ''My Documents'' and then changed the target shortcut of the My Documents shortcut in the Start Menu to point to the correct folder and I can now easily access all of my files and documents. Yeah!!!

I do however need further assistance. I still need to restore my Outlook 2007 folders, contacts and emails (if that is possible).
Any clue where I could start looking?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »
Do you have the PST, OST, PAB, OAB, DAT files for outlook ?

They should be located here - these are hidden files/folders

C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Jelika

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2012, 06:08:09 PM »
I found them under: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Not sure if those are the files you are suggesting, but that's all I found. See attachment

Jelika

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2012, 11:22:22 PM »
Anything?