Author Topic: frequent "Threat has been detected" messages  (Read 3329 times)

REDACTED

frequent "Threat has been detected" messages
« on: August 12, 2012, 07:02:43 PM »
Greetings to the forum:
I am receiving frequent messages about Windows/Installer/{b469404f-df24-0b63-8934-fce605536d72}/U/800000cb@
It is labeled alternated as a trojan and malware.  Avast appears to consistently successful send the problem to the chest, but it is labeled as a "severe" risk and I need to make it go away.
A few days ago I reviewed some postings on this forum and it appears that others have had similar problems, although numbers were different in the posted description of the threat object.  If I understood correctly, the malware/trojan must be deleted individually from every infected machine.  It looked like the owner of the infected machine needed to post the results of a Malwarebites scan.  I ran a scan several times and came up with no infections, according to Malwarebites, every time.  Also ran Spybot and got a bunch of problems identified, but after cleaning them out still have the obnoxious infection. 
Please advise how to get ride of this pest.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: frequent "Threat has been detected" messages
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:06:42 PM »
follow this guide and attach (not copy and paste) logs from Malwarebytes / OTL / aswMBR
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 01:45:14 AM »
The 4 logs are attached.  The guidance document that I am responding to specified that all logs must be saved in ANSI format, but I could not locate an option for doing this, so they are .txt documents.  If this does not work, please advise.
Thanks again in advance.

jeffce

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 01:52:05 AM »
**WARNING**Unfortunately one or more of the infections I have identified are Backdoor Trojans, IRCBots or other Malware capable of stealing very important information. You need to stop using all Internet Banking sites, change passwords to all sites with sensitive information from a clean computer and phone your bank to inform them that you may be a victim of identify theft. More often than not, we advise users that a full reinstallation of their Operating System is the only way to ensure that their computer will ever be 100% clean again.

Unfortunately I have found what is known as the ZeroAccess rootkit on your system. It is an especially nasty infection that can take quite some time to clean as well as may have damaged your system files itself. As a warning, during the cleaning (if you choose to do so) you may lose internet access with this computer and in the end we may need to reinstall the operating system anyway depending on the extent of the infection.

If you would like to format and reinstall your Operating System please let me know and we can assist you with that.

If you would like to continue with the cleaning, please continue with the following instructions and I will be more than happy to help.  :)
----------

Download Combofix from the link below, and save it to your desktop. 
Link

**Note:  It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
 If you get a message saying "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion", please restart your computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Right-Click and Run as Administrator on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
    When finished, it will produce a report for you. 
  • Please post the C:\ComboFix.txt for further review.
----------

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 02:07:42 AM »
thanks!  I'll wipe and re-install.

jeffce

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 02:09:08 AM »
Ok...thanks for letting me know.   :D