Author Topic: network shield  (Read 11264 times)

frauxm

network shield
« on: January 12, 2005, 08:44:29 PM »
Hi,
I got this message in the right lower corner of my screen, several times a day. I donĀ“t have a clue what it means, and therefor i need help from you pros ; -)
What does it mean? Should i worry about it?

Avast 4.5 Home Edition
VPS File 0502-2

MarcZ

Re: network shield
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 08:49:40 PM »
The resident scanner is running.  You have Network Shield on. 

Is "Network Shield" the message?

frauxm

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 08:55:46 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to write the message down. It says:
network shield: Blocked "DCOM Exploit" - attack from "IP-number"

MarcZ

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 09:28:22 PM »
You are protected.  See these topics

DCOM explot attack
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9612.0

Message meaning - Attack...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9078.0

frauxm

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 09:46:29 PM »
Thanks for your answer!
Shit, my computer is really under attack!!! One gets a bit worried, what happens if Avast misses some of the attacks? And what happened in my system before i had Avast...?

Today, I'm not using any firewall, and with Avast I dont really need it, do I?

MarcZ

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 09:48:48 PM »
Yes, you do need afirewall.  Check this answer that I asked awhile back.

Do I need to run the Network Shield with Zone Alarm?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9875.0

frauxm

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 09:59:32 PM »
Aha, Thanks!
Ok, I will install a firewall at once! Which one do you suggest with avast? I prefer a free one...isn't there a firewall included in Windows XP? If so, is this one a good choise?

lee16

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 10:10:16 PM »
frauxm,

There is a built in firewall in WinXP (turned on by default in SP2) but it only provides inbound protection.

These are two very good and easy to use Firewalls.

Zonealarm: http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1012_zl/zlsSetup_55_062_004.exe

Sygate: http://www.simtel.com/product.download.mirrors.php?id=53687

*Note*: Only use one of the firewalls, as using more then one Firewall at the same time can cause serious system instability.

--lee

frauxm

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 10:30:43 PM »
Thank you guys for your help!

Ok, I have now downloaded Zonealarm. Now I guess i have the protection I need. Do you suggest I leave my Network Shield on?

I am sometimes using AD-Aware SE Personal, will this make any problems for me? I am also using dc++ for my downloads, do I have to change settings in either dc++ or Zonealarm, before dc++ will work?

lee16

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 10:55:19 PM »
Do you suggest I leave my Network Shield on?

Yes, extra protection at little cost can't go a miss now can it  :)

I am sometimes using AD-Aware SE Personal, will this make any problems for me?

Nope none at all

I am also using dc++ for my downloads, do I have to change settings in either dc++ or Zonealarm, before dc++ will work?

I have never used DC++ myself, but i shouldn't think you would have to change any settings, best way to find out is to try and use DC++ and if it works, you know nothing needs to be changed in the settings.  :D

Have a nice day now.

--lee

frauxm

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 11:13:31 PM »
Lee: Thanks, and have a nice day!

I have noticed, most of the blocked (via Zone alarm) attempts to internet access on my computer comes from my ISP!! Maybe this is just the way it should be? I got about 1 blocked attempt per minute... :-\

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 05:32:28 AM »
frauxm,

Goto to Shields UP website https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 to test your firewall at full Stealth, when you are at the Shields UP website click on Proceed then click on Common Ports.

What Sheilds UP do is to test all your port numbers to make sure your firewall is working, all you have to see and to make sure all your port numbers is reading STEALTH it mean you have pass the test mean your firewall is working.

If any of your port numbers are not reading stealth mean your port number is open, someone can get inside your computer without your permission unless you fix the port number to Stealth.

Do you understand?
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

frauxm

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2005, 08:47:38 PM »
SpeedyPc:
Yes I understand, and I have run the test 3 times, and passed 2 of them. I guess my firewall is working?

lee16

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2005, 10:15:06 PM »
If all ports are showing up as stealthed, then yes, with Zonealarm as long as the firewall is set to the 'high' settings all ports will be stealthed.

The 'attempts' to access your PC will mostly be 'background traffic' (other people using the internet) which is nothing to worry about, and the ones from your ISP will properly be legitimate, but nothing bad can come from it blocked or unblocked.

Make sense?

--lee

frauxm

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 10:34:47 PM »
Lee: Yup, it makes sence!

Yesterday, when Zonealarm was installed and running, the program blocked several attempts from s.c. Dial-up sites. Today, I haven't had a single one of them, trying to get into my computer. That's nice! ;D