Author Topic: Using Avast! Free Antivirus for MAC - Firewall?  (Read 8539 times)

Maji

Using Avast! Free Antivirus for MAC - Firewall?
« on: August 16, 2012, 05:11:43 AM »
Does Avast! have a firewall?  Can't find a setting to enable/disable it.  I am hospitalized from time to time, and was unable to get on the Internet at all unless I disabled the firewall (using Norton Antivirus).  The hospital has its own server, which I have to log in to, and my firewall prevented me from doing so.  I recently uninstalled Norton and installed Avast!, due to the great things I heard about it.  Am unable to find anything regarding a firewall.  Are the three "shields" the same thing?  In case I'm medically incarcerated again, and am unable to get online, I'd like to know in advance how to disable any functions that are blocking me.  Hope that makes sense.

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Using Avast! Free Antivirus for MAC - Firewall?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 08:36:38 AM »
Hi,

avast! for Mac doesn't contain a firewall. All the shields can be disabled from preferences. If you'll have any trouble connecting to the Internet, let as know.

Regards,
Jan

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Using Avast! Free Antivirus for MAC - Firewall?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »
The only issue im aware of is that if you have a firewall (such as little snitch) you may need to allow the avast web shield proxy internet access.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay