Author Topic: Battlefield 3 and Avast Problem  (Read 43024 times)

watchthisspace

Re: Battlefield 3 and Avast Problem
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2011, 04:45:13 AM »
Am keeping an eye on this topic to see if the Avast team pulls through with a solution :)

MasterALF

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 01:11:29 PM »
You don't lose any important protection if you do as suggested and only check the "Scan traffic from well known browser processes only" option in the avastUI, Real-Time Shields, Expert Settings.

I have done all this and still no luck in get the functions in Battlelog to work. I do hope there is a fix soon. Not sure if browser is an issue or not but I use Chrome v15.x

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2011, 01:20:58 PM »
I'm not a chrome user, so I can't comment and I know chrome are releasing updates like there is no tomorrow but v15.x must be at the bleeding edge. So that is a possibility, but the "Scan traffic from well known browser processes only" should in theory work, but If chrome v15.x is using the same chrome executable names it wouldn't exclude chrome.

That said it isn't the chrome executable that is getting blocked, but a file from the game (sorry not a gamer either). Something else a workaround that you could try, presumably the game site IP address is the same each time you could exclude it. From the avastUI, Settings, Troubleshooting, Redirect Settings, WEB, Ignored addresses: and enter the IP address.

This obviously would mean that the web shield wouldn't be monitoring that site (so no web shield protection for that IP, but the web shield would be enabled for the rest of your browsing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

8Ac3

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2011, 07:30:52 PM »
OK, so here are my findings.  I usually use Google Chrome as my default browser and I have found that no combination of exceptions and selection of "well known browser processes" works. The only way to get this to work is by disabling web shield.  It is the same in IE9.  It does however work if I use firefox, and it appears to work fine. It stops working if I uncheck "well known browser processes".

If I use Chrome and the web shield isn't disabled and I can choose one of the options in battlelog to create a party, it doesn't display.  If I Shift+F5 then the Party shows up. If I use IE9 when I create the party it doesn't display and even a refresh doesn't show up the party.

Now I have also tried the url suggested previously for testing websockets http://websocket.org/echo.html with firefox and IE9 this doesn't work out of the box anyway as "Uh-oh, the browser you're using doesn't have native support for WebSocket. That means you can't run this demo." All I know is that firefox appears to work fine with "well known browser processes" checked and IE9 and Google Chrome don't. All of the browsers work fine when web shield is disabled.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
Hi,
we have added support for the WebSockets' protocol upgrade. In the future version of WebShield WebSockets communication should go through. (e.g.  http://websocket.org/echo.html) No really sure if that will solve all the B3 problems, but hope it helps.

Lukas.

REDACTED

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2011, 09:27:19 PM »
...THX for this feedback!

So it should be delivered by a program update - not by a VPS update?

Greets
S@uDepp

8Ac3

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2011, 11:43:14 PM »
Yes, was wondering also when we may expect to see the update?

MasterALF

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2011, 05:34:45 PM »
Still no new version? The websocket test still fail.

BF3 got a new patch like a week ago and some functions seems to work now but still only a fraction of all it can do when Avast webshield isn't active at all.

EDIT:
I found that there is a beta out for a test run. Gonna try that one to see if it fixes the problem..  8)
Beta Version
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:40:27 PM by MasterALF »

Offline Hyncharas

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 05:26:36 AM »
Is there ever going to be a solution to this, or is it situation where neither you nor EA can create a safe workaround?  I haven't been able to play the game since the game's patch was released 22nd November...

I've also just installed Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor and seem to be experiencing an almost identical problem.  I use Avast Internet Security 6 on Windows 7 64-bit, and the two games have their specific firewall ports open for each, incoming and outgoing, but the new release doesn't seem to take any notice of this!

It seems to me the current build isn't very game-friendly, when compared to prior versions, I haven't had nearly as much trouble playing online.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 06:08:27 AM by Hyncharas »

Yo_Da

« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2012, 11:08:08 PM »
Hey Guys! I Hope someone ist still following this thread and has still this problem. It seems like they changed the battlelog "server". I searched in Forums for 2 hours, did check the "only search trusted blabla" made exeptions and nothing worked. So i had a look in the source Code of Battlelog. So i saw lot's of "http://battlelog-cdn.battlefield.com" in it and added this Page to the Exeptions in the web protection. This finally works for me now. I recommend to try this if nothing else worked for you.

Yo_Da
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:22:58 PM by Yo_Da »