Author Topic: Streaming Updates appear to have halted  (Read 34674 times)

selen

Re: Streaming Updates appear to have halted
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 06:30:27 PM »
See my last screenshot image (click to expand), does your avastUI, Maintenance, Update section show you are connected (Connection Established) ?

If not check:
That you have the virus definitions Auto Update set to Auto, otherwise no streaming updates.
That you have the avastUI, Settings, Cloud Services, Streaming Updates option checked.

yes, the connection is estabilished, but I can't receive streaming updates since 15th of august. On another computer of mine avast streaming updates worked since yesterday, but today it stopped receiving them.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 07:26:28 PM »
Well there has only been one today so far and I received that at 12:08pm when I first started up my system (now 6:26pm UK time). You could check the avast defs folder, as a secondary check if there is a stream update (note the time matches my last image).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 07:46:43 PM »
Currently, 1:44 PM EDT in the US, there have been 4 streaming updates.

Edit: The latest was at 1:06 PM EDT.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:52:25 PM by Gopher John »
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

selen

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 07:47:49 PM »
Well there has only been one today so far and I received that at 12:08pm when I first started up my system (now 6:26pm UK time). You could check the avast defs folder, as a secondary check if there is a stream update (note the time matches my last image).

I have looked to the avast defs folder, and there are no streaming updates received. There is only the folder regarding the last normal VPS update, the number 12081800, but no folder for the streaming updates.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »
I think there is a problem on update servers. Usually I don't pay attention to streaming updates but when I sometimes check the updates version, I see that streaming updates are usually a day ahead from regular ones.

I have Avast Free 7.0.1456. The streaming updates connection is enabled and established. The regular updates version is 120818-0; the latest streaming updates were get on Aug 16 at 10:39:34 (EET). The time zone is GMT+3. So it seems that I have the problem too.

==============================
Well, it becomes stranger and stranger. I checked Scheduled Tasks and saw that Avast Live Update is working and successfully installed the latest streaming update on Aug 18 at 18:44:41. But the info in the GUI says - Aug 16 at 10:39:34. Could it be of the same line of glitches when green pop-ups show wrong versions of regular updates?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:14:43 PM by George Yves »
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 10:10:23 PM »
I'm not sure why this is happening, but try this - From the avastUI, Settings, Updates, scroll down to Proxy Settings, set it to Direct connection (no proxy), see image.

Ok thanks.  I had it set to Auto-Detect (which has always worked prior to 15 August), so have now changed to Direct Connection.   Shall monitor and update here shortly.

Change of this setting to Direct Connection doesn't seem to have made any difference so have reverted to the Auto-Detect setting. Still no sign of any streaming updates.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2012, 11:05:47 PM »
I half suspected it might not, as generally it is something which resolved update problems early in the boot, but the streaming updates also happen at other times outside of boot.

personally I would leave it on No Proxy as that is the correct status, unless you specifically use a proxy [not the web shield] to connect to the internet. This means that the regular auto updates doesn't have to check your IE settings to see if you use a proxy.

Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and select Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Uninstall/Change and select Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 01:18:38 AM »
I completely re-installed my Avast and the regular update is 120818-1 now. The only positive result is that WebRep shows ratings again (it was grey for several weeks). As for streaming updates, just after the re-installation there wasn't any information about them. I rebooted and saw the same figures - Aug 16 at 10:39:34. So, nothing has been changed.
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 09:36:04 AM »
[SNIP]
personally I would leave it on No Proxy as that is the correct status, unless you specifically use a proxy [not the web shield] to connect to the internet. This means that the regular auto updates doesn't have to check your IE settings to see if you use a proxy.

Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and select Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Uninstall/Change and select Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.

Many thanks.  Ok, I have just switched on PC this morning (Sunday 19th) and have reset Updates to the 'No Proxy' setting and have carried out a 'repair' of avast.   I await those streaming updates with hope.  :-)

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »
My most recent streaming update is: 8/18/2012 at 2:48:29 PM EST

I hope this is the most recent one, fourteen hours seems like a long time since the last streaming.

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »
My most recent streaming update is: 8/18/2012 at 2:48:29 PM EST

I hope this is the most recent one, fourteen hours seems like a long time since the last streaming.

You are lucky. I havent received a single streaming update since I reinstalled Avast yesterday, or before that since the 15th of August ! :-(

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2012, 11:53:59 AM »
GOOD NEWS!   :)

A streaming Update has finally arrived on 19 August at 10:36am UK time (GMT +1).

Hoorah!  But what was the cause of the stoppage I wonder?

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2012, 12:04:20 PM »
For anyone still experiencing this problem, I did the following which may have helped:

Avast UI > Summary > Cloud Services > Untick 'Enable streaming updates' > Click OK > Reboot PC, re-enable streaming updates by re-entering tick > Click OK.   
Good luck!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
Remember the whole point of the streaming updates is for definition updates that are so urgent they don't wait for the next regular auto update, there is no schedule as such.

Also remember that any streaming update previously released is included in the next regular auto update (and the old streams removed).

selen

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »
The problem seems solved, I have received a streaming update just few minutes ago. I haven't done anything particular, the streaming updates have started working again by themselves :)