Author Topic: Streaming Updates appear to have halted  (Read 34667 times)

Offline aa.avast

Re: Streaming Updates appear to have halted
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »
If you are able to try using OpenDNS for your DNS server (I can't using BT Infinity), see http://use.opendns.com/ for how to use.

To get started http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions/parental-controls/ select one of the two Free options (whichever is applicable) and click the Sign-up button.

Many thanks David.  Since reinstalling all seems ok, but have filed that link into my Bookmarks for future reference. Cheers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 03:43:56 PM »
You're welcome.

If I could use OpenDNS with my BT Infinity HomeHub2, I would do so again in a heart beat, I used it for years before that. Not only is it a pretty fast DNS Server it has protections against DNS Poisoning, and if you use the dashboard function you can block certain category groups.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2012, 11:51:25 AM »
Sorry, gentlemen, but I believe there is a critical bug with streaming updates that started in version 1456 and continues in version 1466.

Some times ago I noticed that my computer shuts down or reboots with the Windows "critical error" sound but without any pop-up message about the error. Today I discovered that there is no "critical error" sound if I disable streaming updates or uninstall Avast. Then I noticed that when I hear the sound, the streaming updates stop coming on next booting. I am tired of constantly repairing-rebooting-unchecking-rebooting-checking and again and again.
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »
Sorry, gentlemen, but I believe there is a critical bug with streaming updates that started in version 1456 and continues in version 1466.
[SNIP]
I'm beginning to feel that way too.  Again, no streaming updates yet received today. :-(

selen

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »
[SNIP]
I'm beginning to feel that way too.  Again, no streaming updates yet received today. :-(

same situation for me, and after the update to the new program version 1466 I have problem also with the normal Virus definitions update. the last one I received is the number 120821-0. Today is the 22th of august and I haven't received any new VPS update!

Offline aa.avast

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2012, 02:21:51 PM »
Exactly the same for me Selen. 

How do we get Avast to investigate/comment?  I've been very happy with Avast for quite a few years and would hate to have to ditch it now. 

selen

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2012, 02:50:52 PM »
Exactly the same for me Selen. 

How do we get Avast to investigate/comment?  I've been very happy with Avast for quite a few years and would hate to have to ditch it now.
parhaps the VPS problem is related to the busy servers after the new program update 1466. About the streaming updates I don't know what to think, because I was quite sure that the new program update had solved the issue...unfortunately the problem is still here :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2012, 02:58:40 PM »
[SNIP]

There haven't been any updates yet today streaming or otherwise (VPS is still showing 120821-0), I don't know if that has anything to do with the new program update, but yesterday (prior to the program update release) there was a reasonable amount of streaming update activity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hlecter

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2012, 03:04:45 PM »
For your info:

The lack of new VPS-update has nothing to do with the new release of version 7.

I have Avast Pro 6 and my VPS is still showing 120821-0.

;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2012, 03:32:29 PM »
Well I have no idea where you get that information form as you don't give any reference.

But with over 150million users a release of other updates would also put load on the update servers.

ManyQs

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2012, 03:45:41 PM »

I will admit that the lack of udates is a bit troubling, but I have a large extra share of faith in the folks at Avast and I would bet my last euro they are hard at work to get things straight.

There is one more interesting aspect, that may be of some assistance to the engineers, or not -- as they probably already know -- but the usual popup asking that I update to 7.0.1466 hasn't shown up at all.  I really don't know when _ .1466 came out, but when the usual update lady didn't announce her presence some 12 hours or so ago was when I checked.  Two computers here have been off and on twice since then and still shows the red _ .1466 and, as others noted, the 120821-0 as the last virus definition.

Just in case any of that may be helpful.

Again, I sure ain't jumpin' ship for a long time.  This company has been getting it right for so long that I have stored up a fair bit of patience for their engineers to get things straight.  Anyway, my Net habits aren't really the kind that draws the baddies down upon me.  Usually.  Knock on monitor.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:52:52 PM by ManyQs »

hayc59

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2012, 03:48:11 PM »
Now def update here also?

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2012, 03:49:17 PM »
But with over 150million users a release of other updates would also put load on the update servers.
And what about the critical error sound that I have already described?

Some times ago I noticed that my computer shuts down or reboots with the Windows "critical error" sound but without any pop-up message about the error. Today I discovered that there is no "critical error" sound if I disable streaming updates or uninstall Avast. Then I noticed that when I hear the sound, the streaming updates stop coming on next booting. I am tired of constantly repairing-rebooting-unchecking-rebooting-checking and again and again.

For now I disabled streaming updates because I believe in reality of the bug.

hlecter

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »
For your info:

The lack of new VPS-update has nothing to do with the new release of version 7.

I have Avast Pro 6 and my VPS is still showing 120821-0.

;)
Well I have no idea where you get that information form as you don't give any reference.

I was confirming that this 'lack' of VPS update was not related to a bug in the new version 1466.
Avast servers, I take it for granted, can handle this...
I checked and no new VPS updates in the Virus update history either so server load can't be an issue.
 ;)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2012, 09:07:26 PM »
The main virus database was updated to 120822-1. Does anybody have information about streaming updates?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:10:35 PM by George Yves »