Author Topic: Avast  (Read 3368 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
Avast
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »
With the exception of getting the red pop ups umpteen time over a period of 2 days I have never had any problems with Avast.  After having read about the problems some people are having with the program I'm not really sure whether or not I should keep using it.  Is it supposed to be the best free anti virus program?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:33:54 PM »
You are grasping the concept that this is a support forum and those that don't have problems aren't exactly beating the door down to report no problems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 02:08:13 PM »
Well, excuse me!  I thought General Topic was where one could talk about everything related to Avast!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »
With the exception of getting the red pop ups umpteen time over a period of 2 days...

Could mean, you're infected.
Better open a topic in V&W: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=post;board=4.0 and post your logs there.
Instructions: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

MAG

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 02:17:26 PM »
  Is it supposed to be the best free anti virus program?

You aren't really asking this question in the best place for a neutral answer. Not many people on the avast forum are likely to suggest that a.n. other free av is much better - if they thought that they would be using it and wouldn't be posting here.

It has a good reputation for resource useage and usually scores very well in independent tests.

Only you can decide if it is the best or if you should continue using it.

What do you mean by all the red pop-ups? Detection alerts?

If so, then unless you keep deliberately visiting the same dodgy sites it may suggest that you have some rmalware (redirect or similar)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:21:50 PM »
I haven't had those pop up's since Tues..  I've ran multiple scans and each time it shows no threat detected. 

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 10:28:56 PM »
I haven't had those pop up's since Tues..  I've ran multiple scans and each time it shows no threat detected.
The pop-ups mean something bad was blocked. Your scan results reflect that they were blocked. Which is a good thing.
IOW your machine is probably clean.  :)
Have you scanned with MalwareBytes?  ???

Also you failed to mention if these were websites you visit on a regular basis.  ???
If not I would recommend you stop going to those sites.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.