Author Topic: Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport  (Read 34600 times)

cheblasko

Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport
« on: August 18, 2012, 09:23:55 PM »
I have a problem with avast antivirus free. In the device manager does not recognize Avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport and you can not install this device.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
Re: Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
Could you provide us a hijack log of your machine?
What is your avast build?  https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=586#idt_01
thank you
Lukas.
Quality is also a feature.

vitalito

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:05:47 AM »
Hi Lukas
I have the same problem and I tried to reinstall the drivers and it didn't help. I am using a paid version of Avast.
Thanks

Patrice_avast

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »
Hi,
Same problem for me: The system advises me that this peripheral is not operating properly.
What to do now?
I have the latest updated retail avast Internet Security, automatically updated and running on W7 x64 ultimate.
Please advise what to do now?
What is this peripheral for? How to repair? There is no new driver on the net via Windows update.
Thanks
Patrice.

okokel

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 06:39:04 AM »
Also having the same problem.  Started occurring after recent program update.  Also, I used a product key to upgrade from the free to the Security Pro version.  The miniport shows up in the device manager in one of two ways.  For a while, it displayed the full name (avast! firewall NDIS Filter Miniport) under network devices, and every time I tried updating the drivers, it would say the drivers were found but access was denied.  Now, the device just appears as unknown device and reads "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) Access is denied." in the properties.  I will run a hijack scan and post the log here soon.

Update:  I tried uninstalling the device, and avast! seems to work fine.  Is this device really necessary for the firewall?  Avast still shows the firewall as operational and my internet connection has not disappeared like some people have found.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:05:15 PM by okokel »

rwebb

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »
Same issue here, with Windows 7 reporting "Avast! firewall NDIS filter miniport xxx" not installed, where xxx has been various three-digit numbers (lately 344).

The Avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Driver does show up as "checked" in the properties for all network adapters and everything seems to be working correctly -- except for the error box that Windows 7 pops-up when the machine boots up.

I do have a VPN connection and VirtualBox "adapters." Perhaps related?

Regardless, is uninstalling the non-functioning miniport effective in suppressing the error message withoug adversely affecting the box's security?

Big Ian

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
Same here,every boot up tries to install it and fails.

Only since last update.

AIS and Windows 7

Ian

hotelhollybrook

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 02:41:52 PM »
I have the same problem. Win 7 and the error on startup is  a fail to install driver error for "Avast NDIS filter miniport #8". See Hijack log and AVAST IS version screenshot. Thank you.

fallada

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 12:20:02 PM »
I have been all round the houses with this problem - first my wireless printer stopped working on 8th August.  I uninstalled/reinstalled, phoned HP.  Have spent a MONTH on the phone with them, problem not fixed.  Bought a new printer and finally got an error message 'Avast! Firewall NDIS  Filter Miniport #82 xFailed'.  Its been AVAST all along.  Phoned for help, Avast tried to charge me £120 for a fix.  OUTRAGED.

mcmsat

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 03:30:09 AM »
 :o This seems to be a general problem, though it doesn't disturb my computer activities, but I'm worried for its existence!

borisrd

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 10:42:16 AM »
The same problem and this is the text from windows after driver installation failure: Avast Firewall NDIS Filter Mini port #698
Avast Internet Security version 7.0.1466

iainclarke

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »
Hi,
I've been getting strange driver messages for the past month or so, and today the same description I'm seeing here in the Forum appeared.
So we're not alone. I'm also slightly alarmed.
Does anybody know what's the score?
Iain

Offline VojtaN

• Avast team
  • No PM please
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 03:29:53 PM »
Hello,
was it really avast support who you called?
Can you provide me with phone number, date and time when phone call took the place?
Thank you

I have been all round the houses with this problem - first my wireless printer stopped working on 8th August.  I uninstalled/reinstalled, phoned HP.  Have spent a MONTH on the phone with them, problem not fixed.  Bought a new printer and finally got an error message 'Avast! Firewall NDIS  Filter Miniport #82 xFailed'.  Its been AVAST all along.  Phoned for help, Avast tried to charge me £120 for a fix.  OUTRAGED.

Nesivos

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 03:47:52 PM »
I could also be having the same problem  I have a 250 GB WD Elements External HDD that was working fine on my Netbook, firstly with W7 then W8-DP, W8-CP and then starting about a 6 weeks ago with Ubuntu.

The drive is formatted as NTFS and has a bunch of backup data on it.

I removed it from the Netbook running Ubuntu, which is not using avast! and tried to connect it on each of my three W7-SP1 computers.  Windows will not install the drivers and not assign a drive letter to it on any of the three desktop computers.

I don't know if it is the same problem or not but seems like it could be.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:53:44 PM by Nesivos »

snickerson

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 07:37:06 AM »
Same issue here, just started after re-install of parallels on MB Pro.
Paid version on Win 7. Tries to install miniport #5 and #6, Fails both.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 06:42:15 PM by snickerson »