Author Topic: Version/s vs file size  (Read 1665 times)

Leigh-a

Version/s vs file size
« on: August 19, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »
Ref. Win 7/64:
I have Version 7.0.1456, as listed on the program Interface, & Ctrl.Panel/ "Add-Remove Programs".----But---
It's listed in Program Files, & Windows Explorer as Avast 5, with an overall size of 265 MB/ 494 files / 64 Folders; with no mention of Avast 7.

The download sites show Avast 7 to be an 85.2 MB download; so why is it taking up three times that much space on my system, & listed as Avast 5?

Have I got two versions installed "at once"?

Regards,
Leigh

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Version/s vs file size
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 06:35:36 PM »
The installer you see on the download sites is - just like almost any installer - compressed. So, after the program is decompressed and installed, it takes more space than just the original installation package.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Version/s vs file size
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 06:43:50 PM »
Because you are downloading a compressed installation file.

The virus definitions for instance when unpacked take up a lot of space.

You haven't got two versions, you have done program updates from an older version of avast, that doesn't change the folder names as that would have to be changed in every registry and other reference to the installation folder. You will also probably see it as ALWIL Software also if you did just program updates.

If you do a clean install of avast (from version 6 onwards) then the avast folder name will be Avast Software and Avast and not Avast5.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security