Author Topic: cannot update avs  (Read 3588 times)

Mal76

cannot update avs
« on: January 13, 2005, 10:44:28 PM »
Hello All,
            I know this subject has been dealt with before, but I do not seem to find an answer specific to my problem.
I connected my second computer today to bring antivirus etc. up to date.
Having downloaded and installed the avast programme update, I noticed that the 2 avast balls were missing from the taskbar.
I then tried avast repair which kept trying and retrying without success.( I mean it did not successfully connect to the server )although I could connect elseware on the web.
Then I downloaded the avast uninstall utility and also downloaded
the avast programme.
I then disconnected from the web and uninstalled avast using the utility.
Following that installed the latest programme that I had downloaded.
This was after a reboot.
The 2 missing balls then appeared in the taskbar so I thoght all was ok, but I am unable to virus update. That is that when I go into tools
and click on update of either avs or programme then nothing happens.
I thought ok i'll try repair, but when I go into Add/remove , select avast and then change/remove. The window does not change to show repair.
Avast appears to be running ok but I am not up to date with virus def.
My system is asus a7n8x mobo, AMD 1800xp cpu, Windows XP Home,
with SP2. Wile writind this the message below came up.
nformation about current update:
Last encountered error: Cannot connect to download4.avast.com (67.19.185.26:80).

Total time: 43:59
    Thanks for any help you may be able to give and I hope I have described the problem clearly.
        Regards    Mal76

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: cannot update avs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 11:02:50 PM »
Just make sure that your network setup is correctly as well as the setting in Avast, that is all you have to do.

lee16

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 11:14:15 PM »
Mal76,

Are you sure your Firewall isn't blocking the update request?, i have seen that as th problem before.

--lee

Mal76

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 11:26:26 PM »
Hi! Lee16,
               No screen has come up re. firewall. I'm using seagate, but I will look and perhaps also process guard again as this has given trouble before.
                     Thanks   Mal76

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 11:34:12 PM »
Sounds like firewall blocking as in many other threads, especially when you can connect to the Internet with a browser as avast uses the same protocol.

Repair is there, scroll down.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mal76

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 11:45:06 PM »
Thanks Lee16 and DavidR and Eddy's earlier response,
   Following your suggestion re firewall I looked in the taskbar to find Sygate not there, so I went into start programmes and opened
Sygate.
 As soon as I opened it screens came up asking me to allow the various avast programmes, followed by avast pop up telling me of virus update.
 All updated now Thanks again to you All.
    Best regards   Mal76