Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 4991 times)

Xircal

Advice needed
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »
First of all, I have the latest version of AVAST installed, but prefer to update manually. I've also disabled streaming updates. In addition, I chose a custom installation and deliberately omitted to install any shields.

Now then, here's a screenshot of the warning my firewall generated a few mins ago while I was reading a Wikipedia travel article, part of which you can see in the background. As already mentioned, I prefer to update manually, so any form of automatic updating shouldn't suddenly manifest itself especially since AVAST wasn't running at the time even. Any comments would be most welcome.

Theo Peterbroers

Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:31:36 PM »
Hi Xircal,

Translated from the forum of Avadas, the German distributor of avast (http://forum.avadas.de/threads/4656-avast!-Emergency-Update):

"Since version 7.0.1451 avast! Free, Pro and Internet Security contain a module called avast! Emergency Update. It is intended for cases when avast! was damaged by a failed update or other causes, and the internal update or repair routines are unable to solve the problem.

The executable is called AvastEmUpdate.exe, it resides in the directory of the main program /AVAST Software/Avast. AvastEmUpdate.exe is activated every 12 hours by Windows Task Scheduler and additionally after every login of a Windows user. On activation, the program checks if the AVAST servers have a hotfix ready for a situation as mentioned above, and if so downloads, validates and applies the hotfix."

Obviously the situation did occur and avast was in need of a hotfix. I do not know if and how badly damaged your avast was: maybe the culprit was an update that you hadn't yet applied.

Best Regards,
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:18:15 PM by Kwartet! »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »
Obviously the situation did occur and avast was in need of a hotfix. I do not know if and how badly damaged your avast was: maybe the culprit was an update that you hadn't yet applied.
What was the problem exactly? What was the error message?
The best things in life are free.

Theo Peterbroers

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »
Comodo warning as seen in Xircal's post. Does avast log which specific problem an emergency update solves?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:14:12 PM by Kwartet! »

iroc9555

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »
Nothing to worry about just AvastEmUpdate doing some changes in its executable temp logs. Comodo will alert them. I have had 2 of those since AvastEmUpdate was intruduced.

You can change AvastEmUpdate in D+ to Installer/Updater or modify its value to:

C:\WINDOWS\Temp\? ? ? ? ?.........exe ( That´s 36 ? )
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:43:29 PM by iroc9555 »

Xircal

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »
Hi Xircal,

Translated from the forum of Avadas, the German distributor of avast (http://forum.avadas.de/threads/4656-avast!-Emergency-Update):

"Since version 7.0.1451 avast! Free, Pro and Internet Security contain a module called avast! Emergency Update. It is intended for cases when avast! was damaged by a failed update other other causes, and the internal update or repair routines are unable to solve the problem.

The executable is called AvastEmUpdate.exe, it resides in the directory of the main program /AVAST Software/Avast. AvastEmUpdate.exe is activated every 12 hours by Windows Task Scheduler and additionally after every login of a Windows user. On activation, the program checks if the AVAST servers have a hotfix ready for a situation as mentioned above, and if so downloads, validates and applies the hotfix."

Best Regards,
Hi Kwartet,

Thanks for the comprehensive response. I understand now what's going on.

Perhaps it's due to closing the various AVAST connections which seem to remain open for quite some time after a manual update completes. These can be seen in the following screenshot. I've been closing them manually because to my way of thinking, holding them all open seems unnecessary somehow. For example, before writing this post, I ran a manual update. I'm now about to submit it and checked the current ports utility to check to see if the connections are still open and they appear to be so. You can download the free utility I used from here if you want to check for yourself: http://nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »
You can change AvastEmUpdate in D+ to Installer/Updater...

@Xircal: You should do definitely that.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Xircal

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 05:34:55 PM »
You can change AvastEmUpdate in D+ to Installer/Updater...

@Xircal: You should do definitely that.
Yes, I understand that now. But I hadn't done it before because I usually update AVAST manually and therefore didn't understand why this apparent automatic update had occurred.