Author Topic: What to DO with the infected files from my first scan?  (Read 25089 times)

Susandra

What to DO with the infected files from my first scan?
« on: August 22, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »
I just downloaded and installed the free version of avast! for my husband's Mac, running Lion.  We ran an initial virus scan and it identified 38 infected files - mostly email attachments.  But now, it's extremely unclear how to safely get rid of them.  The "delete" button?  Or does that simply delete them from the list as it did in a previous anti-virus we used on the PC? The "repair" button?  Move?  Export? Finder?  The interface is very opaque and we can't find answers by searching the web (including avast! FAQs)

I'm a mid-level user and I'm frankly rather appalled at the lack of the most basic instructions about what to do here.  BTW this same question has been asked here in the forum with no replies (at least that I could find)

--Margo

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: What to DO with the infected files from my first scan?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »
I just downloaded and installed the free version of avast! for my husband's Mac, running Lion.  We ran an initial virus scan and it identified 38 infected files - mostly email attachments.  But now, it's extremely unclear how to safely get rid of them.  The "delete" button?  Or does that simply delete them from the list as it did in a previous anti-virus we used on the PC? The "repair" button?  Move?  Export? Finder?  The interface is very opaque and we can't find answers by searching the web (including avast! FAQs)

I'm a mid-level user and I'm frankly rather appalled at the lack of the most basic instructions about what to do here.  BTW this same question has been asked here in the forum with no replies (at least that I could find)

--Margo

Hallo,
it depends. For particular isolated files, you might really delete them. For infections, found inside bigger files (such as e-mail storages of your e-mail client), it's questionable - the most safe way is to delete them using e-mailer, but its not always possible to identify them.

Could you make a screen-shot of the infections (apple+shift+4)?

Regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Helen A A

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:08:26 PM »
I'm in the same boat, but How On Earth do you upload a screenshot? Ah, found it!

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:52:55 AM »
I'm in the same boat, but How On Earth do you upload a screenshot? Ah, found it!

Hallo,
the screenshot is correct - those particular files were with very high probability real infections, obtained via e-mail, and as sen in the "statys", you deleted them.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

smudimu1

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
I'm also having the same problem, after i scan i can't seem to do anything else. the only option that is highlight is "export" this happens to every drive that i scan.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:47:29 PM by smudimu1 »

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:52:29 PM »
I'm also having the same problem, after i scan i can't seem to do anything else. the only option that is highlight is "export" this happens to every drive that i scan.

You must select particular line from the log (= with the virus message) to be able to do actions with the particular find.
Having a big button do "delete all viruses" is quite controversial feature - for example, deleting the whole e-mail database because some mail inside that big file was found infected - so it's up on the user to decide per-find.

regards,
pc

Derek6193

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »
I had the same problem.  none of the actions are highlighted except for export,  but I couldn't help but wonder,  export to where?  why?  what will this do. 

I found a user manual for avast online.  http://www.avast.com/download-documentation.  I chose the one for version 7 because that is the version I have,  but the screen shots they use in the tutorial,  are not the same as mine.  It doesn't look the same at all. It doesn't seem to address this issue either.

I'm beginning to think I am going to delete avast and get something else. if they are making software for a mac,  They need to make it user friendly. because mac users like it that way,  that is why we use Macs.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 06:39:47 AM »
I found a user manual for avast online.  http://www.avast.com/download-documentation.  I chose the one for version 7 because that is the version I have,  but the screen shots they use in the tutorial,  are not the same as mine.  It doesn't look the same at all. It doesn't seem to address this issue either.

-> http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/avast-free-antivirus-for-mac-quick-start-guide-en.pdf
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Derek6193

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
thank you,  this one has the correct screen shots,  but still doesn't explain why all of the action are greyed out except for export. It found 15 infections,  but wont let me do anything with them.  here is my screen shot, showing the greyed out actions....

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 06:14:00 AM »
here is my screen shot, showing the greyed out actions....

Your screenshot is too small to read. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DeeMan007

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 10:13:54 AM »
Here is my screenshot...I'm having similar issues with what to do after full system scan.  It took 52 HOURS, 217 infections, EACH one I had to enter my computer password.  Is there a way to deal with ALL infections simultaneously, simply deleting them in mass, instead of having to enter the computer password on EVERY one? What can I do to help PREVENT so many infections? 

/Users/darrindee/Desktop/Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 2.12.38 AM.png
How do I insert my screenshot?

HELP!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:15:32 AM by DeeMan007 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »
How do I insert my screenshot?

When you post a message, click on: "Attachments and other options"