Author Topic: Re.automatic scan for removable drive  (Read 18589 times)

sandeshmstry

Re.automatic scan for removable drive
« on: August 22, 2012, 04:49:18 PM »
Avast is obviously very excellent product but something is missing in this is that I wait for it at every update i.e.
Removable drive scanner
Every antivirus provides fullscan of removable drive when it is attached on computer & the scan starts automatically as soon as it is attached & it shows in the interface that it is scanning but avast doesnt do that.it has to start scan manually everytime it is attached.
If this limitation is solved then I will be greatfully thankfull.
Regards
sandesh

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Re.automatic scan for removable drive
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:01:19 PM »
so if you attach a 1000gb USB dish full of photos or music ...... you want a auto full scan of that  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 11:34:21 PM »
I feel like Pondus...
But if you want a 3rd party tool you're looking for http://blog.didierstevens.com/programs/usbvirusscan/
You need to point it to ashQuick.exe at avast folder.
The best things in life are free.

sandeshmstry

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 12:42:34 PM »
I downloaded the file (usb virus scan ) but how can I sync with avast so that the avast starts automatically when usb is inserted.
detailed reply is appreciated.thanks.
What should be modified in the command of start file
USBVirusScan.exe "D:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\csscan.exe" /target %%c: /secure /quiet /log d:\mydirsd\develop\c\usbvirusscan\log.txt
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:07:11 PM by sandeshmstry »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »
I downloaded the file (usb virus scan ) but how can I sync with avast so that the avast starts automatically when usb is inserted.
detailed reply is appreciated.thanks.
What should be modified in the command of start file
USBVirusScan.exe "D:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\csscan.exe" /target %%c: /secure /quiet /log d:\mydirsd\develop\c\usbvirusscan\log.txt
I think you can get this help there, it's an active blog. The file linked should be <path_to>\ashQuick.exe and you do not need to use any parameter to send the file for scanning.

sandeshmstry

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 08:46:14 AM »
Its not working anyway(usb virus scan)
I have to ask but why we should need such a 3rd party tool in avast which is so complicated and unworkable.
This means for satisfying with this product avast team is not capable & it will depend upon others.
I have made a survey of the blog and thousand of avast users have complained about the same (autoscan of usb drive) and the avast team will also be aware of it ,then also no positive step from your side.
Please look into this matter.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 02:06:22 PM »
I have to ask but why we should need such a 3rd party tool in avast which is so complicated and unworkable.
You don't have to.
It's not complicated. It's simple: you don't have to scan all the usb drive each time you plug it. Let avast scan what it necessary when the usb stick is plugged. Any autorun or executable file will be scanned. If avast! can't detect them (no detection software is perfect) on access, avast! won't detect them on demand.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »
I have UsbVirusScan and the only time that I use it is if I'm going to attach an external usb that hasn't only been used by me on my system/s

So I create a batch file vscan_start.bat and have a shortcut to run that before plugging in the usb.

This is the content of the vscan_start.bat file all on one line:
Code: [Select]
"E:\Utilities-Non-Registry\~\USBVirusScan\USBVirusScan.exe" -c "C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\ashQuick.exe" /target %%c: /secure /quiet /log c:\vscan_log.txt
Command Line breakdown
This is the location of where I saved the UsbVirusScan.exe file:
"E:\Utilities-Non-Registry\~\USBVirusScan\USBVirusScan.exe"

This is the location of ashQuick.exe:
-c "C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\ashQuick.exe" the -c is a parameter.

There are other parameters you can give, the latter it to produce a log file and where to store that log file:
 /target %%c: /secure /quiet /log c:\vscan_log.txt

####
For the most part there is no need for this as Tech mentions, avast scans any active files on that USB stick before they are allowed to run.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sandeshmstry

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »
This is the content of the vscan_start.bat file that i have edited

"E:\USBVirusScan\USBVirusScan.exe" -c "C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\ashQuick.exe" /target %%c: /secure /quiet /log c:\vscan_log.txt

This is the location of where I saved the UsbVirusScan.exe file:
"E:\USBVirusScan\USBVirusScan.exe"

This is the location of ashQuick.exe:
 -c "C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\ashQuick.exe"

Dear david, It still doesnt work for me & I m feeling totally off & helpless. Any sugstn???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »
I have only created the batch file as I don't want it to run all of the time, I just fire up the batch (.bat) file before I plug in an unknown USB. Once started once I plug in the USB ashQuick.exe scan it

I don't know what you have done, how you created the batch file, exactly what you have entered in the command string of the batch file; you can't just enter my command string as that relates to my system; you have to enter the full path to where the USBVirusScan.exe is (contained in "quotes" as mine is but your own path).

So I can't really suggest anything in the dark, see image (click to expand) of the about USBVirusScan info, if that isn't enough then I suggest visiting the web site URL in the title bar of the attached image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sandeshmstry

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 05:26:23 PM »
The above inf given by me is fine & correct, both the paths are correct i)usb virus scan.exe path & 2) ashquick.exe path.
I think the software has taken promise that it will not work for me..?Really annoyable.
But thanks david for the valuable guidance.but any sugn is appreciated..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »
You're welcome, sorry it wasn't successful.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 08:00:12 PM »

It scans for auto run viruses.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:01:47 PM by Chris Thomas »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 09:38:35 PM »
The OP is looking for something that scans the whole USB and nit just files that are run or contained in the autorun.inf command.

sandeshmstry

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 01:34:18 PM »
ya the whole usb...