Author Topic: mail failes?  (Read 5419 times)

VB_For_Dummies

mail failes?
« on: January 16, 2005, 02:57:28 PM »
when i run the RavAntiVirus scan online everything comes up clean as far as viruses etc... except for it says that i have 363 "mail Files". does anyone know what that is ? and if so , how can i get to them to remove them?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: mail failes?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 03:16:38 PM »
Without more information on what was said about the mail files, I can't really suggest an option. What was the exact message?

I wouldn't get rid of anything until you are sure they are a problem/infected. RAV may not be able to scan these files, which is why it is reporting it. In the same way avast can't scan encrypted and password protected files, avast tells you it couldn't scan them, not that there is a problem with them.

I assume that you have scanned your system with avast and it was clean? You could try another on-line scan such as Trend's Housecall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

VB_For_Dummies

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 05:51:20 PM »
yes, i am an avid avast user and im real high in avast. if you're familiar with the Online RavAntiVirus tool then you'd know exactly what im referring to .
After it finishes scanning your system then it gives a simple report. just as i said , it comes up clean with the exception of showing that there was 363 mail files. it doesnt say wether or not it just couldnt scan these files, although thats a possible......

i've relied on avast for a long time now but it doesnt ever hurt to have a second opinion,so randomly i use ravantivirus online .

i know you guys dont support ravantivirus online scanner but i know that theres some here that are familiar with it as this forum is where i got the link from. i just figured that someone may be familiar with it as theres no help or reference on the rav site that i could finds. what is the link to this site you mentioned? perhaps they're more explanatory there and i can understand more about what it finds.

ohh.... and for the biggest part of what avast has always told me that it couldnt scan was the files that AdAware Se produces.i dont quarantine nothing , not even with avast , if its not suppose to be there,kill it, thats the way i see it.so there shouldnt be any quarantined items in AdAware files other than whatever it shipped with.

I really dont get it because if the message is pertaining to "Mail" files , well thats funny because i havent ever even set up Outlook Express, i always just go online and check my Outlook.so its a little weird to me if they've associated "Mail Files" with anything other than a "Mail File".

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 06:30:07 PM »
if you're familiar with the Online RavAntiVirus tool then you'd know exactly what im referring to .

That's it, I'm totally unfamiliar with rav's online-scanner, that's why I asked the question.

A second opinion is good, a third in this case wouldn't hurt. It would at least give you a little peace of mind from the nagging doubt, why the 363 files message. You might find this of use, On-line Virus Scanners and other useful Links Security.Ops.tk
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

VB_For_Dummies

Re: mail failes?:RE:DavidR
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 06:51:00 PM »
Thanks a million, that site will keep me busy with many tools for a long time to come.Rav is listed there but i think i can find a new 2nd opinion tool from the site you suggested.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 08:12:15 PM »
No problem, the thanks for the site should go to 'RejZor' in these forums, it's his site.