Author Topic: How do I turn off the reboot nag message?  (Read 5054 times)

Lady Aleena

How do I turn off the reboot nag message?
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:28:07 AM »
I upgraded my Avast software, and now I'm getting nagged to reboot my computer. I will NOT reboot my computer. The last time I rebooted my computer, I nearly had a nervous breakdown when I had major software malfunctions. I only reboot my computer after a power failure that runs my battery backup out of power.

I would prefer that your software updates did NOT require a reboot.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: How do I turn off the reboot nag message?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
Well, we would prefer it too, but the thing is that it is not possible to update some of the modules without a restart.
So the program update that you performed basically just scheduled the files to be updated - the real update will be done during the restart, until then you are running the old version.

Lady Aleena

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »
I would think that a simple overwrite of the old modules would do it with a shut down and restart of the program being all that is needed. So, if I'm not in front of my computer when the next nag message pops up, will it restart my computer or wait for me to say yes or no?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:24:54 PM »
The modules cannot be overwritten when loaded, and some cannot be unloaded.
No, there is no automatic restart, you need to confirm that.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »
So, if I'm not in front of my computer when the next nag message pops up, will it restart my computer or wait for me to say yes or no?

It'll wait for you.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Lady Aleena

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »
Thanks igor and Asyn.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 12:14:16 AM »
I will NOT reboot my computer
hmm....what do you do with all windows update that need a reboot.  ::)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 07:41:58 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
Sounds like you're happy -- or at least resolved -- with the replies, but I'm still baffled by one issue.  Just about any service shop (or even ISP) will usually recommend a reboot as the first step in trying to fix nearly any computer problem.  And that's not even counting the more relevant case in your OP, where you've done an update that specifically tells you that you need to reboot.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Lady Aleena

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 06:28:52 AM »
Pondus, I just don't do Windows updates anymore. I can't stand the problems they cause when I reboot my computer. It was a Windows update that really messed my computer up in the first place. I still haven't gotten everything reset to before the last update I did.

MikeBCda, if the first thing tech agents tell me to do is reboot, then I find anything they say suspect. Rebooting does not fix problems with their specific software. All rebooting does, for me anyway, is clear the memory. (I'd love to be able to clear my memory right now, but with my reboot phobia, I can't.) A fresh load of Windows won't do me any good when the Windows I have loaded right now is wonky. If Windows is wonky when I shut it down, Windows will be wonky when I reboot.

AdrianH

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 06:50:36 AM »
Pondus, I just don't do Windows updates anymore. I can't stand the problems they cause when I reboot my computer. It was a Windows update that really messed my computer up in the first place. I still haven't gotten everything reset to before the last update I did.

MikeBCda, if the first thing tech agents tell me to do is reboot, then I find anything they say suspect. Rebooting does not fix problems with their specific software. All rebooting does, for me anyway, is clear the memory. (I'd love to be able to clear my memory right now, but with my reboot phobia, I can't.) A fresh load of Windows won't do me any good when the Windows I have loaded right now is wonky. If Windows is wonky when I shut it down, Windows will be wonky when I reboot.

You could not be more wrong, restarting Windows does not just clear memory and is required to rebuild the registry with the additional components. According to what you are saying your PC is running without ever being shut down 24/7/365.

1) If you don't restart when advised software cannot install correctly and that will cause you issues.

2) If you do not restart when instructed your AV system is useless and you have zero protection, nada.

3) If you do not run Windows Updates then your machine is a) at risk of attack ( and that makes you a danger to everyone else) and b) will mean that software will not run as you do not have the latest/required components installed.