Author Topic: Avast kepps shutting down  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Doc16743

Avast kepps shutting down
« on: August 25, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »
Hello to the group. Since I upgraded to 7.0.1466, Avast keeps turning itself off for no apparent reason. The "Fix Now" button works, with the program returning to "Secured" status, however, a few minutes later, it has again stopped.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP 1 with 4G of RAM.

This problem was not apparent before the upgrade.

Waiting to reinstall Avast in case there is a known fix.

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast kepps shutting down
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
Strange... But I really suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. (Optional) If you want, save your avast! settings for later restoration (Settings > Maintenance > Back up).
4. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
5. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
6. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
7. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
8. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Doc16743

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 04:46:05 PM »
Well, tried this, and followed the instructions carefully, but not real happy with the results. It appears I've lost all my desktop settings, with Windows reverting to a "pristene" look. Tried restoring from previous dates, but now Restore doesn't work. Not sure if this is the fault of the awsclear app, but now I'm simply trying to get my system back the way it was.

Doc

Offline Doc16743

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »
Everything appears to be okay now. Somehow, during the removal of Avast "personalization" got changed. Have reinstalled Avast and so far seems to be working as it should.

Don't yet know why "Restore" no longer works. It appears that somehow all restore points got deleted or damaged during the removal-install process.

Thanks
Doc

DFaust

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 11:45:31 PM »
I'm having the exact same problem ever since I've upgraded to 7.0.1466. Avast shuts down frequently without any notice whatsoever. The event viewer gives me messages like this one:

"The avast! Antivirus service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 5000 milliseconds: Restart the service."

Usually, this happens 3 times in a row, with the result that there is no restart after the third time. The real bad thing is that there is no way of knowing, except when I actually open avast. I can then click "Fix it", and it will actually restart (until it crashes again, of course).

I followed the advice given above, uninstalled, booted into safe mode, ran the uninst utility, and then reinstalled. No difference. It keeps doing it.

The only obvious thing I've noticed is that I sometimes see a new avast icon on top of the startup screen when I start Outlook 2010, and sometimes I don't.

I have a pretty plain system, Win7 Ultimate 64bit, Windows firewall, Windows Defender, thats it. No other security software was ever installed (except previous versions of avast.).

Obviously this is a major risk as the system is completely unprotected at times without me knowing. For the time being, I'll go back to the previous version.

Any idea anybody? Thanks a lot.