Author Topic: Can not update program from within the program  (Read 3270 times)

myself123

Can not update program from within the program
« on: August 26, 2012, 01:36:06 AM »
when i click update program button, the new window opens with the just the text information, and does not display a button for me to click to perform the update.  current version ends in 1456 , please see attachment

also i only found out about program update by going into the program. i have the program set to auto update is there a reason why it has not auto updated yet? many thanks
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:49:42 AM by myself123 »

Offline TerraX

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Can not update program from within the program
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 02:08:37 AM »
Hi,

please try using a clean installation.

1. Download avast! Internet Security: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_internet_security_setup.exe
2. Follow instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
3. Reinstall avast! with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.

Win10 64bit / Avast Premium Security / MBAM Free / Firefox ESR [NS/uBO] / Thunderbird / AOS/ASB

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 02:54:43 AM »
This is what it should look like, see image click to expand.

I don't know if you could hover over where Essential update - Update Now button is meant to be and see if your mouse pointer changes and click the update option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

myself123

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 03:00:18 AM »

I don't know if you could hover over where Essential update - Update Now button is meant to be and see if your mouse pointer changes and click the update option.

yes that worked, many thanks , should it have updated automaticly though , as i have this option selected in settings?

Offline TerraX

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:42:17 AM »
Upps...i was wrong. :(
should it have updated automaticly though , as i have this option selected in settings?
For programupdates...need not be, but is ok. ;)
Win10 64bit / Avast Premium Security / MBAM Free / Firefox ESR [NS/uBO] / Thunderbird / AOS/ASB

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »

yes that worked, many thanks , should it have updated automaticly though , as i have this option selected in settings?

Because of the nature of Program Updates, they take longer and they usually require a reboot and this could get in the way if you are doing something you don't want interrupted. For these reasons they aren't automatic like the Virus Definitions updates But to Ask.

If you have as you say changed the Program Updates to Automatic update (which personally I wouldn't advise), then it is strange, but that may be having two options in that screen, the Essential Update notification or the Internet Security trial option.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security