Author Topic: Avast Daily Update File Sizes  (Read 7943 times)

ekitchens

Avast Daily Update File Sizes
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:49:52 PM »
I don't know if I'm not searching the right keywords or if no one has asked.

What are the typical file download sizes of the Avast daily updates?

I moved a few months ago and my new ISP (Verizon) has me on a 5GB bandwidth limit. I've got unexplainable bandwidth reports in the past 6 weeks-- like last night when I turned the hotspot on, checked gmail and then logged off -- a 1/4 of a gig was used. The only thing that I did was check gmail (just text, no pics or vids) and Avast updated while I was writing an email. Verizon has already switched out the hotspot for a new one, new SIM card and the like. But I can't explain the bandwidth and I've been logging everything I do. I don't suspect it's Avast but since yesterday was gmail, Avast and a 1/4 gig used,  I have to ask to know for sure.

I even wiped my hard drive earlier this week and started from scratch just in case there was a virus or malware (even though I scanned and had nothing). Still getting crazy bandwidth spikes and I don't even watch videos on Youtube, stream music or play online games.

Thanks for your help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Daily Update File Sizes
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 04:07:39 PM »
There is no typical download size as it depends on how many virus signatures are added in any update.

Avast uses an incremental virus definitions update, so you only get the updates that you haven't already received. So for the most part these virus definitions updates can be measured in the KBs rather than having to download the complete virus definitions database.

Essentially avast doesn't initiate internet connections (outside of the updates), but redirects internet connections requests (from your browser, email program etc.) through its localhost proxy. So if it weren't to do that avast wouldn't be scanning your internet traffic, but more importantly the traffic would be rightly associated with the browser/email program (not avast).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

selen

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »
I have noticed that the size of avast update folders increase of 0.1 MB each day. For exmple the size of the VPS definition folder of yesterday, the number 120824-02, was 86.3 MB. Then the size of the new VPS folder of today, number 120825-00, is 86.4 MB. About one week ago I started monitoring the size of avast folders and I have discovered this progressive increase in weight. Months ago the normal size of this folders was around 80 MB, and now it's bigger. Is it correct?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:36:45 PM by selen »

hlecter

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 04:30:15 PM »
I have noticed that the size of avast update folders increase of 1 MB each day. For exmple the size of the VPS definition folder of yesterday, the number 120824-02, was 86.3 MB. Then the size of the new VPS folder of today, number 120825-00, is 86.4 MB. About one week ago I started monitoring the size of avast folders and I have discovered this progressive increase in weight. It is correct?

I can confirm your numbers 86,3 MB and 86,4 MB which is an increase of 0,1 MB or 100kB.

HTH

After your edit of your post:
Yes, that's correct. More defs take more space.  :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:32:58 PM by curious! »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
I have noticed that the size of avast update folders increase of 1 MB each day. For exmple the size of the VPS definition folder of yesterday, the number 120824-02, was 86.3 MB. Then the size of the new VPS folder of today, number 120825-00, is 86.4 MB. About one week ago I started monitoring the size of avast folders and I have discovered this progressive increase in weight. It is correct?

I can confirm your numbers 86,3 MB and 86,4 MB which is an increase of 0,1 MB or 100kB.

The problem is you can't equate that to what is downloaded in the daily updates, which I would imagine are also compressed.

Avast downloads a virus definitions update, a new sub-folder in the defs location is created for the new VPS version and the contents of the previous VPS folder and the incremental update are merged into the new folder. So the whole new folder isn't downloaded.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

selen

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 04:36:24 PM »

HTH

After your edit of your post:
Yes, that's correct. More defs take more space.  :)

Sorry, you are right, 0.1 Mb and not 1 :)

selen

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »

The problem is you can't equate that to what is downloaded in the daily updates, which I would imagine are also compressed.

Avast downloads a virus definitions update, a new sub-folder in the defs location is created for the new VPS version and the contents of the previous VPS folder and the incremental update are merged into the new folder. So the whole new folder isn't downloaded.

ok, but I was trying to understand what will happen if each day avast folders increase their weight of 0.1 MB. Day by day the space on the hard disk is reduced because of this increase...

hlecter

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 04:43:14 PM »

I don't think the OP even thougth the whole VPS was downloaded, but my answer was that an increase in VPS of about 0,1 MB
in a way or another reflects what was downloaded that time.
Compressed or not, this difference of 100kb is within the 'normal' range of a VPS update, of course that can be more or less.
In my expeerience they varies  between 100 kb and 500 kb for the most part.

I always do my VPS updates manually so easy to follow the size.

hlecter

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »
ok, but I was trying to understand what will happen if each day avast folders increase their weight of 0.1 MB. Day by day the space on the hard disk is reduced because of this increase...

Then you will need a new harddrive.  ;)

Joke aside. This is an insignificant increase and would add up to 1 GB in some 30 years.

Perhaps you have a new box by then, too  :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 04:52:51 PM by curious! »

ekitchens

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »
Thank you! I'm just trying to rule out every possibility. And I'm completely stumped.

I can't find a clear answer on this anywhere and it is straying from my original post but, if you would be so kind, could you tell me what the download possibilities are that would earn a 1/4 gigs of bandwidth? In  other words, if someone uses 1/4 gig of bandwidth what kind of download would that be -- I don't watch movies, play online games or stream music but for someone who did, how long would it take to eat 1/4 of gig in terms of a TV show, music, etc. The guy at the Verizon store said 1/4 of a gig bandwidth would be the equivalent of downloading an Andy Griffith Show episode. I'm getting killed on these charges and my habits haven't changed, just the bandwidth in the past 6 weeks!

I can't wrap my mind around this and I can't find this answer anywhere. You guys seem knowledgeable and I'd appreciate it if you could give me a hint, a clue, a helping hand. Thank you so much!

selen

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 08:41:31 PM »

Then you will need a new harddrive.  ;)

Joke aside. This is an insignificant increase and would add up to 1 GB in some 30 years.

Perhaps you have a new box by then, too  :)
Perhaps ahah XD Thanks a lot, you are right this time too :)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 10:12:41 PM »
It's entirely possible, of course, that I'm not up to date on the current "mechanics" of avast's def updates.  As already noted above somewhere, the size of each depends on how much was updated ... over the years, I've been accustomed to incremental updates typically running a few dozen KB, which is a breeze even for anyone still on dialup.

Hmm, maybe that's an good rule of thumb I've never heard used before ... if you can conveniently download via a dialup connection, you almost certainly don't need to worry about disk space used.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent