Author Topic: Malicious file disappeared?  (Read 12505 times)

Offline Misuzu

Re: Malicious file disappeared?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »
Whenever I type in "ComboFix /Uninstall", ComboFix runs like it did the first time I used it. In other words, it asks if I want to update it etc... When I let it update, several warnings from Avast! popped up. I keep getting several warning pop-ups from Avast! everytime I type "ComboFix /Uninstall" into the Run box. (as seen in the attachments)

What am I doing wrong?
Sorry to bother you.
|  Free Avast!   |  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Both up-to-date) |

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »
Not a problem .. Skip that step and OTL will uninstall it for you when you run the cleanup button

This happened once before and sUBs needed to make a minor adjustment to the uninstall routine.. I will let him know

Offline Misuzu

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2012, 03:09:00 AM »
Alright, I "cleaned up" using OTL and installed a new version of Java. I'll be making a new restore point soon. :D

EDIT: I created a new restore point but I can't find Start > All programs > Accessories to get rid of the infected ones. I used Windows Help and Support to find "Disk Cleanup". However after "Disk Cleanup" gets done calculating how much free space I'll get, it asks me what I want to permanently delete. What should I checkmark or just leave it on default? (By default it says it'll delete "Internet Downloaded Programs" (or something like that), "Temporary Internet Files" and "Thumbnails").

One last question, if you don't mind?

I think my family's MP3 Player(s) have been plugged into this computer around the time of infection. So the MP3 Players may be infected, I think? I wouldn't want to get infected again. I use "Panda USB Vaccine" to protect this computer from malware via removable media. Is this an effective method to protecting computers from removable media? It doesn't seem to be able to "vaccinate" all kinds of removable media, but it seems pretty good so far.

Do you have any suggestions when it comes to protecting computers from removable media malware? Or is what I have good enough?

Thanks for everything! :D
Sorry for all the questions and problems.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 06:21:56 AM by Misuzu »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2012, 12:57:26 PM »
A little picture to help  ;D
Yes select all to delete and on the more options tab delete all bar the latest restore point

I use "Panda USB Vaccine" to protect this computer from malware via removable media
That is good

Offline Misuzu

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2012, 08:36:37 PM »
I was looking for "Disk Cleanup" under "Control Panel", no wonder I couldn't find it. ???

Following your instructions, I cleaned out all the previous/older restore points! :D
The computer seems to be working slightly faster after all this too.

Sorry this whole process took so long.
Thanks so much for all your help! :D
-Misuzu

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2012, 09:03:40 PM »