Author Topic: Windows 8 RTM Serious Bug  (Read 25987 times)

c-hri-s

Windows 8 RTM Serious Bug
« on: August 25, 2012, 09:34:30 PM »
I've updated to .1466 and since then no Windows 8 RTM Metro apps will execute.

The previous version did not have this issue. Turning off the shields fixes the problem.

Activation of application microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.WindowsLive.Mail failed with error: The application didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

This prevents most Metro apps starting up, pretty much making the whole metro environment useless.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Windows 8 RTM Serious Bug
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 11:42:32 PM »
I didn't observe any problems with Win8 RTM, but I'll retest it on Monday.
Do you use 32-bit or 64-bit Win8? Can you please turn off only behavior shield or file-system shield, so you can find out which one causes that problem? Thanks.

c-hri-s

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 07:23:44 AM »
Hi,

It's the Behaviour Shield that's doing it.

I'm using x64 Windows 8 Pro RTM (from MSDN).

Thanks

ZeNiX

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 07:51:58 AM »
I had the same issue with Windows 8 CHS x64.

Almost all  Metro app cannot run untill I disable Avast.

c-hri-s

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 04:36:27 PM »
Hi - any news PK? Did you manage to replicate the issue?

Scoty

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:11:45 AM »
I have the same problem. The Store and all other Apps not working with Avast ISS. Whene i turn off the Firewall all working fine but whene i turn on nothing working.

LordKitsuna

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:09:08 AM »
for me on the latest ISS its just the firewall turning that off fixes everything

c-hri-s

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:43:29 AM »
Got to say I'm not that impressed - a new release breaks a fundamental part of a RTM OS and what are we supposed to do - turn shields off.

Is something happening? Is there a Beta that fixes it?

Nesivos

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »
Got to say I'm not that impressed - a new release breaks a fundamental part of a RTM OS and what are we supposed to do - turn shields off.

Is something happening? Is there a Beta that fixes it?

I switched back to W7-SP1 in preparation for the release of W8-RTM.  Anyway I noticed this problem long before .1466.  Maybe others didn't have it but I could not access most W8 apps in W8-RP from when it first came out which was long before .1466.   It could be I had another problem that was preventing access.

c-hri-s

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »
Just wanted to reiterate here, great support Avast <looks for sarcastic smiley ...>

Do we have an ETA to a fix, or shall I look elsewhere?

Nesivos

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 10:57:37 PM »
Just wanted to reiterate here, great support Avast <looks for sarcastic smiley ...>

Absolutely!!  As I recall there are at least two other threads on this forum that address the issue.  Just do a search and you should find them straight away.   

P.S.  W8-RTM is not supported by Microsoft at this time.  I mention this because as I recall someone mentioned that the problem could be firewall related.   Therefore it could be the Windows Firewall or avast! Firewall since they can both work together.   If you are not using avast! AIS and either just the Widows Firewall or some other 3rd party Firewall you might want to look there for the problem.   

Just because an unsupported versions of Windows 8 RTM can be downloaded and installed at this time does not mean that it is bug fee. 

robmadden1

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 03:54:49 AM »

Absolutely!!  As I recall there are at least two other threads on this forum that address the issue.  Just do a search and you should find them straight away.   

P.S.  W8-RTM is not supported by Microsoft at this time.  I mention this because as I recall someone mentioned that the problem could be firewall related.   Therefore it could be the Windows Firewall or avast! Firewall since they can both work together.   If you are not using avast! AIS and either just the Widows Firewall or some other 3rd party Firewall you might want to look there for the problem.   

Just because an unsupported versions of Windows 8 RTM can be downloaded and installed at this time does not mean that it is bug fee.

You are totally wrong the RTM is the consumer version that will on every new pc that you can get after the 26th of Oct. Microsoft would not release it with a bug like this one. Its not the Windows firewall or any other ones is avast and the behavior shield that is causing the issue. I never use the windows firewal I have no use for it. I did not have this issue before the latest program update of AIS.

c-hri-s

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 07:16:24 AM »
Exactly. The problem didn't exist before the latest Avast update. It started as soon as the update was installed.

Thanks for your well meaning reply, but I'm not going to start debugging firewalls and Windows when it's PLAINLY the fault of Avast.

twocsies

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 05:03:25 PM »
I have also got this problem onWindows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_rtm.120725-1247). All Metro apps simply crash silently, with the Windows log saying things like: "The server Microsoft.WindowsLive.Chat.wwa did not register with DCOM within the required timeout."

If I turn off Avast Behavior Shield, they don't crash any more. Strangely enough, if the Behavior Shield is on, no suspicious events are shown on the graph of the Behavior Shield activity but the apps crash. On the other hand, but if the shield is off, the apps don't crash.

Next of all, I tried turning on Expert Settings>Action to take: Ask. With that setting modified, some of the apps run fine; for example, the Weather app and Maps comes up. But Messaging still does not work. And no, Avast does not ask me anything about the event, nor does it show that the event was analyzed in the Shield Traffic graph.

Why would the apps crash even when Behavior Shield does not even register them as events?

c-hri-s

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
They would appear not to care ...