Author Topic: Cannot Install Antitheft in root (/system write: Bad address)  (Read 6888 times)

elbuenzurdo

Cannot Install Antitheft in root (/system write: Bad address)
« on: August 26, 2012, 03:11:37 AM »
Hello, I recently tried tu update my anti-theft for android to the most recent version. For doing this, the installer uninstalled the old version, but when trying to install the new version the following message appeared:

"Could not write to /system directory (write: Bad address). Retry (it is recommended to retry at least one time)?"

I did retry, but the same message appeared; I even reinstalled avast! mobile antivirus, but always got the same message when trying to root install anti-theft. Tried hard reset also, but got the same result.

Any suggestions?

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Cannot Install Antitheft in root (/system write: Bad address)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »
Dear customer,

Is your phone rooted?

Rooting is a process allowing users of mobile phones, tablet PCs, and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's subsystem. Rooting is often performed with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and hardware manufacturers put on some devices, resulting in the ability to alter or replace system applications and settings, run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions.
These root privileges are needed for a few options within avast! Mobile Security - like the Firewall.
Please consult http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android_OS) for more information about rooted devices.

to find out how to root your device please perform an internet search:
<your device> root xda
you'll find good step-by-step-rooting-guides within the XDA developers forum. be aware that you will loose your warranty if you root the device.

Regards,

Werner

elbuenzurdo

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 04:35:32 AM »
Hello, thank you for your answer.

My phone is rooted (Samsung Galaxy Ace with Android 2.3), and I had a working copy of Anti-theft, rooted also. But then when I upgraded to the latest version of Avast! and tried to upgrade anti-theft, I got the error mentioned in my last post.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »
Can you get me a log + mount output?

elbuenzurdo

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 08:15:51 PM »
Can you get me a log + mount output?

Of course. Can you tell me how can I get that log?

Thank you for your reply.

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 12:00:37 PM »
To send a log please follow this step by step:

a)   Create an empty file called "avast-debug" on your /sdcard root directory
b)   REBOOT your phone
c)   Now Avast generates a lot of log
d)   Try to reconstruct your problem
e)   After 10 minues, open Anti-Theft (NOT Mobile Security) and go to the feedback screen (About)
f)   Check “Send system log”
g)   Create a case there giving your email address and mention this conversation as well as a short description of the problem (maybe someone else will get the case)
h)   Then remove the avast-debug file from the /sdcard root directory again
i)   REBOOT your phone
j)   Everything back to normal

Thanks!