Author Topic: Avast won't connect to my account  (Read 8111 times)

bmeadows

Avast won't connect to my account
« on: August 26, 2012, 04:27:20 AM »
I've been having problems with McAfee and Windows 7 (I'm fighting through an issue right now where my copy of Windows 7 home premium 64 bit is suddenly not genuine), and was recommended Avast.  I uninstalled McAfee, ran its MCR tool, rebooted the computer, and then installed Avast tonight.  It did a scan and then rebooted my computer.  When the computer came back on, Avast told me it was unsecured and not connected to an account.  When I go to settings/account and tell it to connect to my account, it asks for my email address and password, then gives me another pop up that thanks me for setting up my account and gives me an icon to go to my avast account--but it won't connect to the account.  When I click Fix now in the main window, it gives me a pop up asking for permission to make changes, but won't change the unsecured status, instead giving me a notice right below the unsecured icon telling me it needs to be connected to an account.

As this is a brand new installation from someone who is brand new to Avast, I have no clue what the problem is.  Any suggestions?

kelico

Re: Avast won't connect to my account
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:12:39 AM »
+1. I have been using Avast for years, and the last time I had to "register", I just entered my information into an Avast registration popup. It was fast and easy. On my new installation of Windows, I downloaded the latest version and had to go through all this registration crap, and now the exact same thing happens to me. It's an avast issue. Sorry to say, you picked the wrong time to get onboard. Avast has broken, and has not yet been fixed. I'll have to put off recommending it to anyone else until they get it fixed.

AdrianH

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:21:32 AM »
The account shown within settings is nothing at all to do with product registration and can be ignored, it has no affect at all on the running of avast!. This account requires you to create an acount, it does not pre exist, it's function is to provide you with an overview of your systems /licenses and protection but is NOT required.

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 08:23:25 AM »
+1. I have been using Avast for years, and the last time I had to "register", I just entered my information into an Avast registration popup. It was fast and easy. On my new installation of Windows, I downloaded the latest version and had to go through all this registration crap, and now the exact same thing happens to me. It's an avast issue. Sorry to say, you picked the wrong time to get onboard. Avast has broken, and has not yet been fixed. I'll have to put off recommending it to anyone else until they get it fixed.

Perhaps you should read the manual and Help section in your GUI before posting garbage like this?

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 08:38:11 AM »
When I click Fix now in the main window, it gives me a pop up asking for permission to make changes, but won't change the unsecured status, instead giving me a notice right below the unsecured icon telling me it needs to be connected to an account.

As this is a brand new installation from someone who is brand new to Avast, I have no clue what the problem is.  Any suggestions?
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Have you installed avast as admin on your PC?

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 01:36:41 PM »
And what is the problem, exactly?
The best things in life are free.

kelico

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »

Perhaps you should read the manual and Help section in your GUI before posting garbage like this?

Good point. If the on-screen directions do not work, it is obviously me and not the program. Why shouldn't you have to read the manual and FAQ just to use a simple software? If you can't speak techno-jargon, don't use a computer, right?

The account shown within settings is nothing at all to do with product registration and can be ignored, it has no affect at all on the running of avast!. This account requires you to create an acount, it does not pre exist, it's function is to provide you with an overview of your systems /licenses and protection but is NOT required.

I suppose everyone should know that the "WARNING, system is UNSECURED" message is entirely benign, and should be ignored. Like all good warning messages.

And what is the problem, exactly?

The problem is identical to the one identified by the user to whom I replied. I did find running it as administrator worked, which admittedly I should have thought of. Even so, this will make it that much more difficult for my parents to install, and much more so had I not run into it myself already.
Nonetheless, thanks for the support. I hope that future versions of Avast can tell the user directly what to do, rather than simply failing to connect as it does now.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:43:32 PM »
I am having the very same problem as bmeadows. My Avast will not connect to my account. I even ran it in administrator mode as suggested by kelico, and it still doesn't connect. I did notice that there is not big green button on the "connect to Avast account" popup. There is a hyperlink, but no button. Not sure if that means anything. I have been using Avast for over a year now, and updated it about a month ago. It has run just fine until about two weeks ago. When it wouldn't connect, I tried to uninstall it to reinstall it, but it wouldn't let me. So I re-ran the install program and reinstalled it right over the old one. Now it won't let me connect to my preexisting account. This is very frustrating. If it says "FIX IT NOW" and you click on it, I would think it would FIX IT NOW, or tell you why it can't.