Author Topic: program update popup alert  (Read 5522 times)

tbint

program update popup alert
« on: August 27, 2012, 01:39:05 AM »
I had the sound shut down because of the double announcement issue. I see that 7.0.1466 program update was posted on August 21, 2012. I just got the popup August 26, 2012. I have it set to alert not auto program update.  Does it always take that long for the update to filter down? Or did I miss a few program popup alerts? Is there a feature some where I could check the last few alerts in the avast control panel?

I see the double announcement issue has been corrected so I will enable the sound again but it would be nice for future reference.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: program update popup alert
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:50:29 AM »
With over 150million active users the program updates are on a cycle to prevent server overload, even with hundreds of update servers the load still has to be balanced. Program updates are or used to be over 7 days, I don't know what the current cycle is.

The default Program Update is set to Ask not Auto.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tbint

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:03:01 AM »
Program updates are or used to be over 7 days, I don't know what the current cycle is.

So most likely It was the only alert I got. Sure do wish there was a feature that lets you look at the last few popup alerts.

iroc9555

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 02:16:36 AM »
Sure do wish there was a feature that lets you look at the last few popup alerts.

Well. No the last few, but the last popup you can.

Right click Avast! icon in taskbar > Show last popup message.

tbint

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 02:25:09 AM »

Well. No the last few, but the last popup you can.

Right click Avast! icon in taskbar > Show last popup message.

I seen that, mine is always ghosted and if it was not ghosted it would probably be the virus definition update.

Thanks iroc, I thought there mite be a log I did not know about.

iroc9555

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 02:34:02 AM »
You can find logs and reports here:

Windows 2000, Windows XP:
  C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\Log/Reports

I am not sure for Vista and Win 7 but try here:

C:\Program Data\AVAST Software\Avast\Log/Reports

or

C:\Users\All Users\AVAST Software\Avast\log/Reports

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 03:12:50 AM »
Program updates are or used to be over 7 days, I don't know what the current cycle is.

So most likely It was the only alert I got. Sure do wish there was a feature that lets you look at the last few popup alerts.

Personally if you know there is an update I wouldn't wait and do a manual program update. However, I don't believe you only get one notification.

Avast would know that there was an update and that you didn't update; after a period of time the avast Summary screen at the very least would show the program needing an update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security