Author Topic: unknown virus messing with my router  (Read 2239 times)

stefanblandin

unknown virus messing with my router
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:21:52 AM »
I'm still not certain I have a virus, I ran multiple scans with avast and malwarebytes, even PTL but still nothing.

I've been having network problems... I will log in to find the network disconnected, whihh is easily solved by hitting the connect button. Then, the internet will be slow and drop out occasionally. Before this problem showed up, if on the rare occasion this happened I could just disconnectand reconnect. I tried that, however, and instead of disconnecting, the router would not let me disconnect from the network! I tried disabling the router and it wouldnt even let me do that. Eventually I pulled the laptops wireless modem out and of course that got it to disconnect. But I plugged it back in and the same problem appeared.

Now normally I would call my ISP but I just now tried in safe mode and the problem doesn't appear. Can you help me out?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: unknown virus messing with my router
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:53:16 AM »
press and hold the reset button on the back of your router for 30sek ....... you may need to remove the power and connect it again also

did that help ?

stefanblandin

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:02:49 AM »
Negative. The problem appears to be software entirely. When I started in safe mode the problem dissapeared.

stefanblandin

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 04:28:45 AM »
Err... don't mean to be pushy but did this get glossed over on accident?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:25:45 AM »
to check for malware ....attach a OTL and aswMBR log ......see the how to sticky on top here