Author Topic: Clicking Sound on Computer  (Read 5210 times)

Fred Gum

Clicking Sound on Computer
« on: August 24, 2012, 04:21:35 PM »
I am using a free version of Avast, every thing seems normal except there is always some clicking sound coming from my speaker while I am away from my computer for about 2 minutes, the sound like mouse clicking, it normally have 2-3 fast clicking sound, stop for a few second, and clicking sound pop up again, until I move my mouse or press the keyboard, the sound will stop. But it will start again when I away next time.

I am sure I haven't click any thing and even changed a new mouse, it still happens.

This clicking sound happens from last month, but starting from yesterday, Avast pop up and detected some malwares in my computer, would you please let me know how can I fix the clicking sound and malware problem?

Cheers ;) ;) ;)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Clicking Sound on Computer
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 06:55:42 PM »
would you please let me know how can I fix the clicking sound and malware problem?
well that depends what the reason for the click sound is

follow this guide and attach (not copy and paste) malwarebytes / OTL / aswMBR logs
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Theo Peterbroers

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 11:22:23 PM »
Hi Fred,

Is the clicking one of the system sounds? By default you can find these in C:\Windows\Media\*.wav. (Windows XP, don't know other versions). You should be able to hear them in Windows Media Player by doubleclicking.

If so, your computer might be telling you that it starts a task that runs when it is idling, or something similar.

Best regards,

catcatms

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »
Hi Fred,

Is the clicking one of the system sounds? By default you can find these in C:\Windows\Media\*.wav. (Windows XP, don't know other versions). You should be able to hear them in Windows Media Player by doubleclicking.

If so, your computer might be telling you that it starts a task that runs when it is idling, or something similar.

Best regards,

Hi, thanks for your message, but I don't think it start a task, I tried to close down all windows and running program before I leave my computer, it also will have clicking sound   :-\

catcatms

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 10:01:37 PM »
would you please let me know how can I fix the clicking sound and malware problem?
well that depends what the reason for the click sound is

follow this guide and attach (not copy and paste) malwarebytes / OTL / aswMBR logs
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Hi, here is the malwarebytes / OTL / aswMBR logs, thanks a lot  ;) ;)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »
Hi if it is coming from the hard disk, this may cure it. Go to the control pannel, then Hardware and Sound, Then Power Options, then select a power option that you use and click "Change Plan Settings", then click "Change Advanced Power Options". Select "Change Settings that are Currently unavailable" at the top of the window that pops out. Then go to the Hard drive dropdown box, and after the "turn off hard disk after" is also dropped down you will have the option to do that.
(solution posted by kevin on lockergnome.net) If that dioes not cure it, follow the suggestions from previous poster and have a qualified malware removal expert look into the issue,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 11:31:41 PM »
I would test the hard drive as that may be the problem

No malware apparent  ;D

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 12:04:33 AM »
Thanks essexboy,

That has narrowed it down to what I thought it was,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

catcatms

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
Hi if it is coming from the hard disk, this may cure it. Go to the control pannel, then Hardware and Sound, Then Power Options, then select a power option that you use and click "Change Plan Settings", then click "Change Advanced Power Options". Select "Change Settings that are Currently unavailable" at the top of the window that pops out. Then go to the Hard drive dropdown box, and after the "turn off hard disk after" is also dropped down you will have the option to do that.
(solution posted by kevin on lockergnome.net) If that dioes not cure it, follow the suggestions from previous poster and have a qualified malware removal expert look into the issue,

polonus

Hi, I am using windows xp, find the power option but can't find the 'Change Settings that are Currently unavailable', would you please let me know where can I find it  :o :o :o

catcatms

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 11:41:43 AM »
I would test the hard drive as that may be the problem

No malware apparent  ;D

I am not very familiar on computer fixing, can it be check by myself?  or should I bring it to shop for checking?  :-\  :-\