Author Topic: Avast! resident shield, no iccon on tray, wierd system behavior  (Read 3033 times)

Borys Pomianek

Avast! resident shield, no iccon on tray, wierd system behavior
« on: January 18, 2005, 02:28:09 AM »
hello, recently my system perfomance droped by about 15 % ;[. I dint do anything. Some programs started olso to lost perfomance in time, the more they work even doing nothing the more they lose perfomance.

Just today somethig wierd happened, another ap hunged and then from about 43 processes it droped down to 40.

The start menu disappered, i could not open the system chutdown messege with alt + f4.

I wanted tor estart by hand, after presing the power of button i got a messege that someonees logged in and he will lose the data if i shut it down. I have loged as quest then used the switch users cthing to switch to my administrator account so i think the quest account was still active.

After restart there was no avast! iccon in the tray ;/. I performed a general system scan on startup by avast and another one after startup. It founded an old troyan in a backup from an old computer and deleted it ( whenscaning on startup ). After loging in there is still no icon, checked the settings and found it set to normal, i moved it to high, after nothing i moved it to off, then i got messege from my system that the antywirus software dosent work, after activating it to normal mode again still no icon.

My apps ealier where hunging from time to time apart from general system performance loss.

My version of avast! Nov2004 (4.5.561 )

Here is the included Dxdiag exported info with all the system info you will propably need:

--------
http://andrakon.com/test.txt
--------

Big thanks in advance.
This computer is really giving me a headache i payd 17 000 PLN for it, thats about 5,600 $ not including the monitors and i olready had great problems with it, it hunged, i had to reinstall the os several times, for 3 months it works but latly as i sad these problems are ocouring

Sory for my language mistakes, iam really trying to get better and eng.

Borys Hugo Pomianek

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast! resident shield, no iccon on tray, wierd system behavior
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 04:30:52 AM »
Don't worry about the language, you are doing fine with that.

Since you got several things going on, I suggest you start with this.
- Delete ALL temporay files. (cahche, dpf's, windows temp folder etc etc)
- run chkdks
- defrag
- make sure your system is clean from any malware
(click the link in my signature and follow the instructions in the malware removal section)
- do a repair of Avast.

Let us know when you have done this and let us know if you still have problems.

Borys Pomianek

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 05:39:31 AM »
Well i have deleated all the stuff i can but in my windows/temp folder there are some files i dont think is good to delete. Most of them i think are connected with Flashget becouse they have JET before the file name, there is some things like p64h2 and  other part-o-system looking files along with a lot of empty catalogs like {9154ed7c-.....}. Would be happy to know if i can deleate them.

Another thing: What is chkdks ? do you mean checking disk using the windows disk scanner ?

i have olready defraged all the disks

Iam working on finding malware now and ill repair avast, if i will get some info about the things i wrote ^ ill try those too and then wait for hung ups and such. If they occour iam gona eat my ram for the starter, my 2 processors for the main course and the matrox card with 256 mb card memory cream over it for desert, then iam gona get back to the vendor that sold me this pc and make him full redundant with my power cables. After that iam gona become a mac user. And i cant let all that happen... iam not ready to swtich to a mac.

BP

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 06:57:00 AM »
Every file in the temp folder that is not in use can be safely delete without causing any problems.
If a file is in use Windows will tell you.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 04:15:33 PM »
Also I would download and run Spybot (www.spybot.info) and Ad Aware (www.lavasoft.com) a couple of times.  You might want to try Pest Patrol too - I think it's got an online scanner somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 04:17:08 PM by Gillie2tat »