Author Topic: Java Vulnerability  (Read 10212 times)

iroc9555

Re: Java Vulnerability
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »
Either 6 or 7 suffers the same exploit. The discussion in the topic is if the new patch covered or not the last vulnerability and it seems that a hole was discovered in the patch itself so leaving Java, again, vulnerable to an attack.

So the recommendation is if you really do not need Java, Why have it installed at all ?

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »
I disabled Java in Firefox but had to enable it again because Facebook won't work with No Script or Java.   I will disable it on IE 9 and Flock.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »
I disabled Java in Firefox but had to enable it again because Facebook won't work with No Script or Java.   I will disable it on IE 9 and Flock.

Don't mix up Java with JavaScript..!! ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 08:37:11 PM »

What's the difference?  BTW.......I can't check any of our bank accounts when I disable Java.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:16:01 PM by -midnight »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »

1. What's the difference?  BTW.......
2. I can't check any of our bank account when I disable Java.

1. Java: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_%28software_platform%29
JavaScript: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript
2. Well, guess you need it then. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline ky331

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 01:11:20 AM »
-midnight,

I access Facebook, without Java (in both IE and FF), and don't have any problems.   While I believe some features of Facebook [such as some of their photo uploading routines (? ? ?)] may use java, the site, in general, does not.

I also access secure sites, such as my bank, credit cards, and brokerages, all withOUT java.

So I believe it much more likely that NoScript [with or without Java activated] is the culprit that's blocking both your Facebook and your online banking.

NoScript can block Java, JavaSCRIPT, Flash, and .PDF files --- to name just some of what it can block.   Basically, you have to watch for NoScripts prompts, and "train it" as to what you'd want it to allow.   Quoting from it's website:

When you install NoScript, [it defaults to blocking] JavaScript, Java, Flash, Silverlight and possibly other executable contents... You will be able to allow JavaScript/ or Java/... execution (scripts from now on) selectively, on the sites you trust. You can allow a site to run scripts temporarily, if you're just surfing randomly, or permanently, when you visit it often and you really trust it [like your bank]. This means that NoScript learns from your own browser habits and tends to disappear in the background after a while, but it promptly comes back to save your day if you stumble upon a malicious web page.
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]