Author Topic: Avast GUI Discussion  (Read 137412 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast GUI Discussion
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »
Please don't get rid of the individual shields.
+10

I think adding a "Hint of the day" to the GUI would be nice as long as it was not obtrusive and could be turned off.
Never read hints... Just my personal taste of course.

If you are concerned about complexity:
Group them into some sort of super shield and you either lose that individual configuration or you have to add the extra complexity (more levels) and more options into the so called super shield.
I'm talking only about the GUI, not features. I think the shields must stay there, but show them joined will simplify the GUI imho.
I want the same (or more) options and configurability.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2012, 11:13:15 PM »
It took a really long time to get of the avast 4.8 GUI and its skins and that really was a nightmare to navigate, the current interface is many orders of magnitude easier to navigate.

So any possibly change shouldn't make it harder to navigate, e.g. requiring more levels or multiple levels or to remember where things are.

For me the various shields are already minimised in the Left navigation tags under Real-Time Shields, reducing that number in that level really isn't that much of an issue (as unused shields can be uninstalled). But the major factor is that most of the shields have different options/configuration, if grouping shields we just add complexity as we still have to somehow contain these different shield options.

This would make the information on that sub-screen very long not to dissimilar to the current Settings, Update screen with its different sub sections for the different aspects. A user would either have to do some considerable scrolling or have a massive window to show them all.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2012, 07:10:04 AM »
I just got one idea how to make the menu on above image shorter (because the updates page is really long right now). Instead of radio buttons, use drop down menus.
This way you combine 3 lines into one, meaning control for VPS and PROGRAM updating would only occupy 2 lines in total instead of 6. With the exactly same functionality.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 07:58:31 AM »
It's not so much that Image/Update Section, that is just an example of what could happen when you combine several shields into one tab, yet still want to retain the individual shield/areas configuration.

I think what makes it bigger is the fact that each options still needs its explanatory text and room for the various translated text.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2012, 12:12:33 PM »
Well, you still posted the general settings which will always be completely separated due to nature of it. Shields could easily be combined.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2012, 01:06:59 PM »
Well, you still posted the general settings which will always be completely separated due to nature of it. Shields could easily be combined.

Whilst the shields have the same look and feel (to maintain uniformity), they don't all have the same options listed in the Expert Settings (presumably avast did this for a reason).

The network shield being an exception as it has no Expert Settings at all, but other shields have a different set of options (tabs) and it is these differences that would have to be catered for if any super shield option were chosen (assuming avast software want avast! to be as configurable).

It is entirely possible that the 'super shield' scenario could have an equally large set of options as the Example of the Updates image that serves as a warning of what it could be like.

This however, is up to avast to decide and make it workable with the minimum of complexity whilst retaining configurability.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2012, 05:37:13 PM »
Well, you don't really need settings for IM and P2P Shield either and i'm not sure we need them for Script Shield as well. I mean, who actually ever unchecked certain app from it and for what reason other than thinking it would somehow make anything faster because it would be unchecked (since you don't use that app for example)?

And there is Behavior Shield. Considering it does nothing to the end user, what's the point of all its settings? It's just pointless. Stuff it inside some other module since it's just a sensoric shield that just analyzes stuff and doesn't really require any actions from user and no settings either if it doesn't really do anything...

stormer

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2012, 09:48:20 PM »
1. Do you think the v7 UI (in general) is well laid out?
I don't really like the current layout (a left sidebar with details to the right).
2. Do you like the structuring into the folders (SUMMARY, SCAN COMPUTER, REAL-TIME SHIELDS) and the items below?
That's OK
3. Do you think the left-hand side navigation bar is a good thing?
No, that's what I don't like.
4. What do you think about the Settings screen? And the other various setting screens accessible throughout the UI?
Could be improved.
5. What's your thought on the Current Status page?
It's OK, average. The Stats page needs to function without installing Adobe Flash Player.
6. What about the presentation of the shields (I mean the real-time notifications, toasters etc)?
Make the (< , x , >) larger
7. What do you think about the virus update notifications? (+sounds)
Limit the max sound, because it makes users jump.
8. Any other issues/suggestions/recommendations etc?
Add a wizard configuration window after installation; to set up PUP detection etc.

GTX66

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2012, 02:02:06 AM »
Should revert back to the old round Avast Icon.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2012, 03:04:30 AM »
Well, you don't really need settings for IM and P2P Shield either and i'm not sure we need them for Script Shield as well. I mean, who actually ever unchecked certain app from it and for what reason other than thinking it would somehow make anything faster because it would be unchecked (since you don't use that app for example)?

And there is Behavior Shield. Considering it does nothing to the end user, what's the point of all its settings? It's just pointless. Stuff it inside some other module since it's just a sensoric shield that just analyzes stuff and doesn't really require any actions from user and no settings either if it doesn't really do anything...
+1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2012, 03:08:53 AM »
I don't really like the current layout (a left sidebar with details to the right).
What do you suggest then?

Limit the max sound, because it makes users jump.
+1

Add a wizard configuration window after installation; to set up PUP detection etc.
It won't be bad that the installer get small and inside of the installation process the virus database is updated.
It's not necessary for beta updates, forced install of the full setup, etc.
Worst of all, the setup is never updated as the virus database is not changed in it... You need to update anyway.
The offline installations could always got two files (the setup.exe and the vpsupd.exe).

Offline keloo05

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far. Here's one other thing. Some antiviruses tend to divide between "local protection" (File System Shield etc), "network protection" (Web Shield, Firewall etc) and structure the UI this way. Does it make sense?

Also, we now have 8 shields in Avast and it is true that their functionality may be somewhat dependent on each other. Do you think it would make sense (and make the UI more understandable) if we merged them to just a couple of "super shields"? Or got ridden of the Shield concept altogether?

I think this is a good idea.

1. If P2P Shield and IM Shield are dependent on File System Shield, why don't you include them in the FS Shield as a settings tab? Then rename the FS Shield, like you said, "Local Protection"

2. Web, Network and Script Shield can be grouped as "Network Protection"

warlock

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2012, 02:07:25 PM »
Well, aside from the look, which I don't particularly like very much mainly because I hate non-native looking programs in general...

I agree it would be a good idea to merge the shields like RejZoR suggested, it would simplify the GUI a bit. Of course, most of the settings should still be there, just put together.

Now, the main annoyance from the very beginning is the firewall (even ignoring the non-GUI related problems, which are also too many). Who ever thought out such a stupid and hard to use app rule editor is a complete moron. The thing should be completely binned and rewritten from scratch. Also, missing basic functionality, like jumping to related rule from a log entry, or copying the address from a log entry, or whois for a log entry and so on is just baffling.

And +100 for binning the registration, people are stupid, really, really stupid when it comes to computers. 99% of users simply don't have enough computer related thought capacity to successfully renew a registration. AND NO, THAT IS NOT A OVERSTATEMENT (taken from a sample of 70 people).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2012, 02:39:16 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far. Here's one other thing. Some antiviruses tend to divide between "local protection" (File System Shield etc), "network protection" (Web Shield, Firewall etc) and structure the UI this way. Does it make sense?

Also, we now have 8 shields in Avast and it is true that their functionality may be somewhat dependent on each other. Do you think it would make sense (and make the UI more understandable) if we merged them to just a couple of "super shields"? Or got ridden of the Shield concept altogether?

Thanks
Vlk
Yes, it makes sense. Keep the ability to configure the shields differently though.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2012, 02:59:57 PM »
I don't pay much attention. An anti-virus should be a set-it and forget-it thing. However I don't like the directions avast has taken. I don't like any of the new "features" introduced over the last year or two. I must do a lot of customizing and tweaking to make it workable for me. I've seriously looked around for an alternative a couple of times but am staying with an older version of avast as you can see in my signature. I may never update it further.