Author Topic: Avast GUI Discussion  (Read 137402 times)

Jesant13

Re: Avast GUI Discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
1. Do you think the v7 UI (in general) is well laid out?
2. Do you like the structuring into the folders (SUMMARY, SCAN COMPUTER, REAL-TIME SHIELDS) and the items below?
3. Do you think the left-hand side navigation bar is a good thing?
4. What do you think about the Settings screen? And the other various setting screens accessible throughout the UI?
5. What's your thought on the Current Status page?
6. What about the presentation of the shields (I mean the real-time notifications, toasters etc)?
7. What do you think about the virus update notifications? (+sounds)
8. Any other issues/suggestions/recommendations etc?

1. I do think it is well laid out. I have no problems with it.
2. Yes I do. I have no problems with it either.
3. I do think it's a good thing. I find it useful.
4. I like it and the other various setting screens. However, I suggest adding an option to disable the automatic installation of any of the browser extensions. When I installed avast! Free Antivirus earlier this year after reinstalling Windows 7, some browser extensions were installed which I uninstalled. After avast! Internet Security was installed (I think due to a bug during the upgrade process), I switched back to avast! Free Antivirus and found that the browser extensions I had uninstalled were installed again. I uninstalled them and unchecked all the boxes in the settings for them, but I'm not sure if that will prevent automatic installation in the future.
5. I think it is fine. I think it shows me enough information.
6. I have no problems with the presentation of the shields. I think they are fine the way they are.
7. I think the notifications are fine. I'm glad I can hear when the virus database is updated on my computer.
8. I don't think so. I think I covered everything I wanted to cover.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 10:00:33 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far. Here's one other thing. Some antiviruses tend to divide between "local protection" (File System Shield etc), "network protection" (Web Shield, Firewall etc) and structure the UI this way. Does it make sense?

Also, we now have 8 shields in Avast and it is true that their functionality may be somewhat dependent on each other. Do you think it would make sense (and make the UI more understandable) if we merged them to just a couple of "super shields"? Or got ridden of the Shield concept altogether?

Thanks
Vlk

As far as these points, I would NOT change the Shield layout or Separate Shield modules!!
"just a couple of super shields" 
NOOOOoooo! thanks. :-\ :-\ :)

lord ami

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »
Combine them into:

- File System Shield (basically just file system protection)
- Internet Shield (Mail, IM, P2P, Web Shield and Network Shield)
- Proactive Shield (Behavior Shield, Auto Sandboxing, WebRep, SiteCorrect)

You also have to do something about registration system because this just doesn't work. Basically none of the users that i handle were able to do it on their own once it expired or was close to that. Free version should auto-renew itself so users don't need any interaction.
You expect in paid versions to enter serial numbers and so on but in free version it's just an unnecessary ballast.

You can instead make the connection to avast! account mandatory if you want,  because users only have to do that once and then its operational forever. But i'd still go with the install and forget concept, meaning no registration at all and no need for avast! Account registration. Something like MSE, AVG and AVIRA have in free versions. Install and forget so to speak.

Agreed!
Imo registration is kind of hard for non-tech users, especially those who do not understand English. It's hard for them to register because they are being offered Pro/IS during the process (which is ok) and it's in English. I've got so many requests about re-activating avast during the use. They simply can not do it.

One suggestion would be:
IIRC then if one registers avast, they also create account on my.avast.com
If you enter your email, then maybe add something like "Send me renewal code to the email" thing to the renewal screen/pop-up that says it's about to expire. (Or next to the due date, if it turns to red - "Send new key") That way, they just need to do some clicks in order to get new code and insert it. Makes it more easier.

I understand that the current registering process is also a great source of new paid customers, but why make it so complicated to continue with free version (I am mostly talking about non-English avast! users, who have no clue how to activate it again).

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 11:20:55 PM »
Yes, the non english users are the most problematic. Program is translated, webpage for re-registration isn't. So it's a dead end for them really.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 11:28:43 PM »
I would agree that we should keep the shield concept as it in a way it states "this is Avast " as to merging them then if need be do it as local computer, network, sandbox

Myself I am quite happy with the status quo

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 11:41:11 PM »
I would agree that we should keep the shield concept as it in a way it states "this is Avast " as to merging them then if need be do it as local computer, network, sandbox

+1000
I find this organization and instant viewing of stats "dead on" ;D ;D

CharleyO

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 11:46:22 PM »

I must agree with not making "supershields" and with the points made by Essexboy & schmidthouse just above this post.    :)

cooby

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 03:57:22 AM »
1. Mostly yes
2. Yes
3. Absolutely great, don't ever think of removing it, please
4. Settings are fine
5. No issues here
6. I dislike most of it. I don't like the big, round, picture. I don't like that only LAST examined item is listed, and abbreviated at that. Nothing short of a screen with tabs showing full name of what was scanned, say, for a day or a week will do. That's where Avira shines over Avast - their reports, while the columns are narrow, can be read and understood. A one liner report or a graph of frequencies is to me useless. Can't even copy what's reported to notepad. Shield log is always empty (I suspect it'll show if infections detected).
7. Is fine as is, works ok, does the job of updating. I haven't yet updated to the lattest which, I gather, eliminates the double voice message.
8. "Click to see your complete security reports for the last 30 days" link - useless to me unless somebody can tell me what I gain by so clicking. Can't think of any more. Avast shines in my book and keeps getting better and is still amazingly small footprint in ProcessExplorer.

true indian

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2012, 05:20:15 AM »

completely agree +uncountable numbers  ;D

avast from the start have been with the shield concept and it should be that way. ;)

norel

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 06:46:50 AM »
Hi Vlk. I think the shields situation is definitely one that needs simplifying. I think consolidating them under two or three categories would be a great idea IF it can be done without taking away control the user has over what shields are running. If it means putting everything under the hood where users don't have the ability to enable or disable it would be a bad idea in my opinion. Another option is to write more detail into the program Help file so people will be able to understand the shields better.

ardi_sugianto

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2012, 07:00:57 AM »

+1000
I find this organization and instant viewing of stats "dead on" ;D ;D

IMO i just feel that this status is not needed and can be replaced with someting more usefull information maybe like process or network monitor or maybe virus information  ;D

and also why in quarantine tab there is no toolbar for delete or restore or submit

norel

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2012, 07:42:21 AM »
One thing I really like about Avast is its flexibility. The thing I've noticed about a lot of software that tries to make things "simpler" is you lose a lot of the flexibility you have in more "complicated" programs. Right now I think Avast has a pretty good balance between the two. Some consolidation in the interface would probably be good, so long as flexibility and options aren't sacrificed in the process.

true indian

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »
1 MORE IMPORTANT suggestion:

Please dont put the continue execution button on the SB analysis result pop up directly...

Place it in a drop down menu this way:

Open in sandbox[Recommended]
Continue execution

with open in sandbox as the default thing to show up first to the user's eye...i had some of my clients clicking the open execution button instead of the close button accidently!! :o

And with the above you guys could replace close button with a OK button.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:54:47 AM by true indian »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
Actually i think avast! team is trying to make Auto Sandbox in direction of automatically executing the program after analysis. Maybe not just yet but i can tell you whole thing is going into that direction, to make it as transparent as possible. The "Continue executing" button directly on Auto Sandbox analysis popup proves that quite nicely...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hillbilly

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 03:00:27 PM »
...Also, we now have 8 shields in Avast and it is true that their functionality may be somewhat dependent on each other. Do you think it would make sense (and make the UI more understandable) if we merged them to just a couple of "super shields"? Or got ridden of the Shield concept altogether?

Thanks
Vlk

Please don't get rid of the individual shields. Thay are the most important part of Avast protection. AVG Free doesn't have any real time shielding and that makes it pretty much useless.  I find the indivdual sheilds useful, and as I have a little old Net top running XP,  I can customize the installation to what I use and what the little eMachines EL1600 can handle.  I don't use P2P applications for example, so didn't install that shield. 

I personally find the current UI easy to use and navigate, and it also looks nice too.  If you wanted to make any changes at all, some users might want customizable skins the way
AdAware used to have a while back.