Author Topic: Avast GUI Discussion  (Read 138014 times)

Nesivos

Re: Avast GUI Discussion
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 04:12:32 PM »
I think adding a "Hint of the day" to the GUI would be nice as long as it was not obtrusive and could be turned off.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 05:24:59 PM »
I think adding a "Hint of the day" to the GUI would be nice as long as it was not obtrusive and could be turned off.
Un-needed bloat imo

Nesivos

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 06:43:58 PM »
Un-needed bloat imo

Goes without saying that it would be "Un-needed bloat" for an "avast! Überevangelist Ultra Poster"  SMH

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 06:55:11 PM »
I would agree that we should keep the shield concept as it in a way it states "this is Avast " as to merging them then if need be do it as local computer, network, sandbox

Myself I am quite happy with the status quo

+1000
I find this organization and instant viewing of stats "dead on" ;D ;D

IMO i just feel that this status is not needed and can be replaced with someting more usefull information maybe like process or network monitor or maybe virus information  ;D

and also why in quarantine tab there is no toolbar for delete or restore or submit

"process or network monitor" ??? I imagine your firewall may already do that.
Mine does  ;) :)

MDRockstar

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 07:14:14 PM »
I think you should merged some shield to just a couple of "super shields". Some people remove some shield  during installation and don't know that they are dependent. For simplicity i think it is the best option. By the way every antivirus vendor do it that way and 8 shields doesn't necessary mean better protection for me.

For the rest i think that avast is perfect.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »
What the individual shields do for the user is that it gives more unique configuration in the Expert settings of the shields that have expert settings (the Network Shield doesn't and there is perhaps a case for to have them.

Group them into some sort of super shield and you either lose that individual configuration or you have to add the extra complexity (more levels) into the so called super shield.

Me I'm all for the individual/ease of configuration that has made avast one of the most configurable AVs around.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MDRockstar

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 07:53:57 PM »
Actually i think avast! team is trying to make Auto Sandbox in direction of automatically executing the program after analysis. Maybe not just yet but i can tell you whole thing is going into that direction, to make it as transparent as possible. The "Continue executing" button directly on Auto Sandbox analysis popup proves that quite nicely...

So does that mean that 'continue execution don't sandbox any file? Why call it autosandbox then. It was perfect before with execute in sandbox(recommended). At least more secure.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2012, 08:23:25 PM »
For me the actual GUI is almost perfect as it is.
Also keep in mind that few users will sit and watch the GUI all day long... ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2012, 08:58:15 PM »
Nothing major jumps out at me in the main GUI, with one exception -- I'd love to see the self-protection module added to the list of item options in the status-bar settings, so that its inactivity (typically from the user temporarily disabling it for one of several reasons) is included in the "not fully protected" warnings.
+1

Combine them into:

- File System Shield (basically just file system protection)
- Internet Shield (Mail, IM, P2P, Web Shield and Network Shield)
- Proactive Shield (Behavior Shield, Auto Sandboxing, WebRep, SiteCorrect)
It's not bad. Actually, the user could be alarmed due to the number and complexity of the shields.

You also have to do something about registration system
+1 for an automated system.

Make it clear with text or color coded icons that indicate if everything is connected and running.
I'd see users alarmed because temporary glitches in the cloud services show "disconnected" status.
Won't it be better just to show the static setting "connected" that the user has in the configurations?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »
<snip quote>
Combine them into:

- File System Shield (basically just file system protection)
- Internet Shield (Mail, IM, P2P, Web Shield and Network Shield)
- Proactive Shield (Behavior Shield, Auto Sandboxing, WebRep, SiteCorrect)
It's not bad. Actually, the user could be alarmed due to the number and complexity of the shields.
<snip quotes>

If you are concerned about complexity:
Group them into some sort of super shield and you either lose that individual configuration or you have to add the extra complexity (more levels) and more options into the so called super shield.

Since most of the shields have different/additional options (and none in the network shield) it would mean more options or different levels or areas relating to the different functionality of the combined shields. So grouping shields brings it own level of complexity.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 09:46:16 PM »
Well, we could move Script Shield, Behavior Shield, IM Shield and P2P Shield inside File System Shield because they basically all do the same task. You can add settings for each in the Expert Settings on the left side selection.

Or in the "worst case", merge just Script Shield, IM Shield and P2P Shield into the File System Shield. Removing 3 shields from the list by merging them into one will certainly make things less massive.

I'd remove the Pie Chart and instead move all of it's "functions" directly in to the shields tab.
So the buttons for each shield would blink on activity and you'd also have numbers right next to the names of the Shields.

Look at the interface mockup in attachement...

I quickly made up the numbers so you get the feel, they don't match the actual File System Shield though in my example.
All the other shields merged together could imo easily be done since they don't realyl need settings or you just place them into the File System Shield Expert Settings on the left side selection menu.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:48:47 PM by RejZoR »
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

iroc9555

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2012, 09:54:02 PM »
I like my individual shields right where they are. No need to group them as a " Super Shield " that will be just a Super Placebo marketing strategy.

Avast! GUI is just fine the way it is. Easy tu to navegate and look at and very intuitive it.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2012, 10:12:12 PM »
I like my individual shields right where they are. No need to group them as a " Super Shield " that will be just a Super Placebo marketing strategy.

Avast! GUI is just fine the way it is. Easy tu to navegate and look at and very intuitive it.

Yes it really is ;D ;D
Not sure what the probing for change is all about. Of course changing the GUI probably wouldn't cause me to change as the software is very good.
But heh, it just great the way it is :) :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2012, 11:01:34 PM »
1. Do you think the v7 UI (in general) is well laid out?
Yes. Just miss a theme selector that change the colors.

2. Do you like the structuring into the folders (SUMMARY, SCAN COMPUTER, REAL-TIME SHIELDS) and the items below?
Yes.

3. Do you think the left-hand side navigation bar is a good thing?
The navigation button? I never use it...

4. What do you think about the Settings screen? And the other various setting screens accessible throughout the UI?
I'd rather a centralized setting with basic x advanced ones. I think AVG has a good structured way to show them, but it mixes the basic and advanced ones.

5. What's your thought on the Current Status page?
Hmmm... What exactly? It's too basic for us and I'm always have it expanded.

6. What about the presentation of the shields (I mean the real-time notifications, toasters etc)?
Please, disable the firewall netword blue notification... We hate not having how to disable it.

7. What do you think about the virus update notifications? (+sounds)
I only use sounds. Never the voices. Also, business people always disable sounds and voices...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »
COMODO has NO ads!
It uses another model. The suite is also free for them.

There are much better out there.
For instance...