Author Topic: Avast GUI Discussion  (Read 137403 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: Avast GUI Discussion
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2012, 03:01:14 PM »
Basically there are only 2 types of protection in the Free Version of avast!.
1. Local (Protecting the files on your computer and other devices (USB CD DVD etc.)
2. Network (Protecting you on the internet and/or Cloud)
All the other shields are sub categories of the 2 mentioned above.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far. Here's one other thing. Some antiviruses tend to divide between "local protection" (File System Shield etc), "network protection" (Web Shield, Firewall etc) and structure the UI this way. Does it make sense?

Also, we now have 8 shields in Avast and it is true that their functionality may be somewhat dependent on each other. Do you think it would make sense (and make the UI more understandable) if we merged them to just a couple of "super shields"? Or got ridden of the Shield concept altogether?

I think this is a good idea.

1. If P2P Shield and IM Shield are dependent on File System Shield, why don't you include them in the FS Shield as a settings tab? Then rename the FS Shield, like you said, "Local Protection"

2. Web, Network and Script Shield can be grouped as "Network Protection"

It seems In many ways it's "6 of one half a dozen of another" ::)
I mean, right now the shields are laid out in an incredibly easy to view and effective display of protection and basic statistics (which IMHO should remain unchanged)
So you combine shields,  now you have layers of hidden info and tabs in Modules.
Nah :-\ :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2012, 08:47:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far. Here's one other thing. Some antiviruses tend to divide between "local protection" (File System Shield etc), "network protection" (Web Shield, Firewall etc) and structure the UI this way. Does it make sense?

Also, we now have 8 shields in Avast and it is true that their functionality may be somewhat dependent on each other. Do you think it would make sense (and make the UI more understandable) if we merged them to just a couple of "super shields"? Or got ridden of the Shield concept altogether?

I think this is a good idea.

1. If P2P Shield and IM Shield are dependent on File System Shield, why don't you include them in the FS Shield as a settings tab? Then rename the FS Shield, like you said, "Local Protection"

2. Web, Network and Script Shield can be grouped as "Network Protection"

It seems In many ways it's "6 of one half a dozen of another" ::)
I mean, right now the shields are laid out in an incredibly easy to view and effective display of protection and basic statistics (which IMHO should remain unchanged)
So you combine shields,  now you have layers of hidden info and tabs in Modules.
Nah :-\ :)

On the other hand> I  would be interested in knowing what the 'developers' envision for the future of our Avast GUI?? :)
Not withstanding users opinions. ;)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2012, 09:52:58 PM »
Why in quarantine tab there is no toolbar for delete or restore or submit?
It's built in. Just right click.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

The Kitchen Sink

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2012, 01:43:24 AM »
1-GUI is fine.

2-Shield groups = bad. I prefer to know what I am looking at and if shield options are merged would be bad and confusing. How would I know if one thing triggered the shield or another if they are merged??  >_<

3-Ad an option to turn off the Emergency download. Example:no task schedule, no call outs etc.

4-The service is fine and would prefer simple updates to it and no major changes.

It is already easy to use, graphically simple and most users can use it. Especially those that would be conversing on this forum. =D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »
The thing with shields is, we realistically don't need half of them to be visible or have any settings. It's a good will of avast! team to make them but apart from geeks, no one really needs them. I never even opened Script Shield, P2P and IM settings, i don't see much point in changing Behavior Shield settings either. So why would some other average user want to change them? It will just confuse him for no reason. Leave everything else as it is but we really don't need the above 4 mentioned shields as separate. Add a simple minimalistic settings in File System Shield and call it a day. Other shields can stay as they are at the moment.

File System Shield (what it is now + P2P/IM Shield + Script Shield + Behavior Shield)
Mail Shield
Web Shield
Network Shield

We can leave these separate, even though i'd merge Web and Network Shields as well. They essentially perform very similar task so why not have them together? One scans actual files, other one the links to those files.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2012, 11:52:15 AM »
Since the Script Shied is used both on the Internet and on the local system it shouldn't be merged into any shield. How would someone know to go to the FSS to add a web site exclusion for the script shield.

As I have said before I don't see what the problem is with the individual shields, it make it very easy for any user even contemplating any changes.

If shields are merged then how would the current Real-Time Shields, Protection Status break down any display. Many people say they want that display to stay, personally that display doesn't bother me if it stays or goes.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2012, 12:00:38 PM »
One of the obvious reasons for downsizing is obvious.
Thin is in and smaller is better. Just look at all of the new devices now being introduced.

I'm voicing what I read. I don't personally agree with this philosophy but,
I'm also older and have eyesight restrictions which make larger easier to manage. 

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2012, 12:12:50 PM »
Well considering that the Shields are already contained in the Real-Time Shields, that is only one tab in the left Navigation menu, it doesn't get bigger until you open any tab (but the overall UI size remains the same). Not until you use the Expert Settings button does it expand and that is in a separate window.

I too am not of the Less is More school of though, I'm in the Clarity and Ease of Use school of thought. For Years everything has been buried under many different layers of an interface, hard to find and hard to remember.

The current UI is a doddle to find what you want and remember where things are as it is logical and not under many different layers. One of the things that has stood out in avast for some considerable time is its highly configurable interface; so I wouldn't want to see that thrown out in any so called super shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »
Just one thought about Behavior Shield. Behavior shield should be remain as one individual shield, because some game-guard software conflicts with it and every user want to play games had to manually exclude game files / change settings causing conflict.
Even official game forum mentioned how to exclude their files in avast settings, or advised to uninstall Behavior Shield. This only could be done by Behavior shield remain individual.

Whether combining shields or not, keeping configurability is the most thing I concern. I love to explore settings ;D

I don't see any major problem with current design, just thinking smaller window would be good.

So...
1. Do you think the v7 UI (in general) is well laid out?
2. Do you like the structuring into the folders (SUMMARY, SCAN COMPUTER, REAL-TIME SHIELDS) and the items below?
3. Do you think the left-hand side navigation bar is a good thing?
Yes.

4. What do you think about the Settings screen? And the other various setting screens accessible throughout the UI?
5. What's your thought on the Current Status page?
I don't see any problem with current design.

6. What about the presentation of the shields (I mean the real-time notifications, toasters etc)?
As long as it keeps its small size and color, no need to change.

7. What do you think about the virus update notifications? (+sounds)
No major problem, just thinking its default duration could be shorten. 20sec is a little long.

8. Any other issues/suggestions/recommendations etc?
As mentioned above, whole window size should be smaller, current is big.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:57:31 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »
The current UI is a doddle to find what you want and remember where things are as it is logical and not under many different layers. One of the things that has stood out in avast for some considerable time is its highly configurable interface; so I wouldn't want to see that thrown out in any so called super shield.

I 100% agree..!!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »
Well considering that the Shields are already contained in the Real-Time Shields, that is only one tab in the left Navigation menu, it doesn't get bigger until you open any tab (but the overall UI size remains the same). Not until you use the Expert Settings button does it expand and that is in a separate window.

I too am not of the Less is More school of though, I'm in the Clarity and Ease of Use school of thought. For Years everything has been buried under many different layers of an interface, hard to find and hard to remember.

100% No secret I Agree  ;D :)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2012, 08:01:48 PM »
I like the Real Time Shields tab and the information that it provides at a glance.  One minor addition that would be nice is to change the color of the background of the pie slices to the same color for those shields that have some interdependence; such as when a setting in one shield affects the function or setting in another shield.  This could be used as a hint to double check that what you may be changing may not have the effect that you desire.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »
Hello,my dear friends!
i've got 1 suggestion: to add pop up when usb flash drive was plugged in: "USB flash drive was plugged in. Do you want to scan it for viruses?
- quick scan
- full scan
- do not scan"
and checkbox: do not ask about it
Do you like it? or not?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 03:32:54 PM by Andrey,pro »

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »
Something that can defeat this   :P

This version just got released one hour ago or so.

The UI must be smooth as a butter.

A little more descriptive of the features. I still don't know the full functions of the Behavioral Shield?

Edited
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:21:25 PM by Chris Thomas »