Author Topic: Avast GUI Discussion  (Read 137976 times)

vecchio

Re: Avast GUI Discussion
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2012, 03:20:39 PM »
Hello,my dear friends!
i've got 1 suggestion: to add pop up when usb flash drive was plugged in: "USB flash drive was plugged in. Do you want to scan it for viruses?
- quick scan
- full scan
- do not scan"
and checkbox: do not ask about it
Do you like it? or not?
+ 1,000,000
Not a bad idea, i think this feature could be quite handy, include the option to auto scan the external device when plugged in as well ;)

yes please please, implement this feature as soon its possible
I must to say i know avast since the old 4.1.418 version and i jave just paid for more 3 yrs of ais just 3 days ago so i love avast

But i have to say i LOVE customizable programs

In my opinion , av programs and also others must be more customizable as possible

Too bad the old 4.1.418 version was more customizable than v7

V7 have some options in full , quick and othes scans we cant customize

yes i know you can  made a hole customizable scan BUT the old  4.1 still has this option and the others scans where more customizable than now

I dont lke the present  GUI
it seems a little hard to work and adjust it

My opinion

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »
God no, don't use the stupid "USB scanning" warnings and popups. Why the hell would you want to scan USB on-demand if real-time (on-access) part is designed for that specific task in the first place? This is as useless as scanning archives (zip,rar,7z) on-access. It's stupid and shouldn't be used.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »
God no, don't use the stupid "USB scanning" warnings and popups. Why the hell would you want to scan USB on-demand if real-time (on-access) part is designed for that specific task in the first place? This is as useless as scanning archives (zip,rar,7z) on-access. It's stupid and shouldn't be used.

+1 Absolutely, not required or wanted.

If you really want to scan your USB on connection there are plenty of options without adding a pop-up to bug the 150 million active avast users every time they plug in a USB. Hell you can even use the right click context menu in windows explorer to have avast scan it if you really feel it necessary.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »
Silly question I'm sure but what is GUI?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2012, 11:48:42 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Dch48

« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2012, 08:25:40 PM »
I like the Shields the way they are and wouldn't like to see them combined. Maybe you could combine the Web and Network Shields but I think the others should remain seperate.

What I would really like to see , and it entails more than just the UI of course, is an option to clean up obsolete firewall rules.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2012, 09:48:58 PM »
The on-access scanning detects only the infections that try to run immediately after you insert a USB into your computer. If an infected file doesn't try to run at that time, Avast does nothing. For me it is not a rare situation: I insert a USB and get a red pop-up - an infected file was moved to the chest; then I open My computer, right-click the USB's icon and select to scan it with Avast; and at the end I get the window with the results - some more infected files were found. So, if I had the possibility to run the full USB scan immediately after it was inserted, I would save clicks and time.
May the FOSS be with you!

Arizona

« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2012, 10:11:04 PM »
+1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2012, 10:14:20 PM »
The on-access scanning detects only the infections that try to run immediately after you insert a USB into your computer. If an infected file doesn't try to run at that time, Avast does nothing. For me it is not a rare situation: I insert a USB and get a red pop-up - an infected file was moved to the chest; then I open My computer, right-click the USB's icon and select to scan it with Avast; and at the end I get the window with the results - some more infected files were found. So, if I had the possibility to run the full USB scan immediately after it was inserted, I would save clicks and time.

You and some others might save some clicks but to enforce death by popup on the 150 million plus users is OTT.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2012, 12:19:43 AM »
I don't see the big deal in having this if there were options to control it- autoscan, ask, disable. Everybody has their own preferences and, with options, this can work for everyone.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »
But WHY!? It'll come up anyway when you'll want to run any of the files or when explorer will list the files. I never understood options in programs for dedicated on-demand AV scanning. It's why real-time scanning is for...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2012, 01:43:22 AM »
I didn't say that I would use it as on-demand. I wouldn't use it at all. To me it would be a pain in the rear. I wouldn't want to scan a full 8 gig flash drive every time I plug it in or any sized drive for that matter. Especially if I had just plugged it in 5 minutes earlier. I would prefer to stick with on-access too. Some people do want this on-demand and some don't. I was just making a point that this can work for everyone if options were added. If this was added without options, there would be many angry users.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:58:52 AM by Charyb »

DBone

« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2012, 02:34:51 AM »
Vlk, I haven't read every reply so I don't know if I'm beating a dead horse or not, but the one thing I would change on the UI is the amount of shields. I have never been found of the overwhelming amount of shields listed on the avast! UI. It makes it feel somewhat "cheesy".............Settle down everyone, it's just my opinion. ;)     

true indian

« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »
In other sense,I am satisfied with current UI..

I care about avast performance against online threats and not with UI...And so far avast has rock solid and top tier protection ;D and this is why i will continue to recommend avast! even if i am not using it at the specified time like it is now  ;D

Avast! will keep getting new users in near future due to its high protection abilities. :D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:11:46 PM by true indian »

stormer

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »
The current GUI looks old, with a fancy metallic skin (v5 to v7) or could be the choice of colours.

Comparing Avast to Kaspersky, AVG and Norton, the current looks standard.

I don't really like the current layout (a left sidebar with details to the right).
What do you suggest then?