Author Topic: Avast GUI Discussion  (Read 137415 times)

blakenz

Re: Avast GUI Discussion
« Reply #210 on: December 20, 2012, 04:38:47 AM »
I think there should be a simple/minimalist/dumb person mode. With the interface stripped back, so the novice user doesn't get confused/dazzled by all the options. Like how simple MSE was.
But also a normal interface like the current one
Yeah and i think new icons would be a good idea. Something like he mentioned:
1. Make the avast orange ball more crystal like like the 2 following pictures :

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/110/e/8/avast_icon_by_ssvlad-d3e17tf.png or http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/tribalmarkings/colorflow/256/avast-icon.png

The second one is blue but you can make it orange and sort of glass like.

2. Display program version and date of updated database whenever whenever the user mouseover the orage icon.

3. Return back the ability to skin.
(The first one, I dont like the second one)

Also there probably should be a metro interface aswell for windows 8, with a live tile to show protection status and notifications
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 04:41:34 AM by blakenz »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »
I think there should be a simple/minimalist/dumb person mode.
I've installed avast! in some computers that the owners never, ever, opened the interface.
I think a "simple/minimalist/dumb person mode" is already there: install, register and forget...
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #212 on: December 20, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »
Yes, the only one who ever opens the interface on the Vista machine here is me and I'm not the owner or primary user. That machine is set to get everything automatically to eliminate the need for interaction as much as possible.

chewi

« Reply #213 on: December 30, 2012, 06:23:11 AM »
hello to developers!

Have Avast Antivirus Free installed (7.0.1474)
When I click on the tray icon => Update => Engine... (or Program), it pops up the main window with the update progress. Is it possible to add an option for manual update (via the tray icon), that make the entire update process run "in background" without the appearance of the main Avast window, displaying notifications (tooltip in tray) only after the update finish?

HNY!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #214 on: December 30, 2012, 12:44:26 PM »
When I click on the tray icon => Update => Engine... (or Program), it pops up the main window with the update progress. Is it possible to add an option for manual update (via the tray icon), that make the entire update process run "in background" without the appearance of the main Avast window, displaying notifications (tooltip in tray) only after the update finish?

I'm not a developer, but after an update in the avastUI, there is an acknowledgement button OK if when you check for updates and one isn't present (highly likely for program updates as they aren't frequent), so I don't know if this is possible. Without this you wouldn't have confirmation that you have the latest version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iuserr6

« Reply #215 on: December 31, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »
  Hope you won't merge shields..But if u do i hope u mean just arrange them different in the guy and leave the ability to disable/enable each indepent as now..My situation for ex: I would never use need p2p shield,and with email shield have a unresolved issue with comodo fw..So the ability to enable/disable them individualy like now would help..
  Also most important wish i have.. WIndows firewall advanced in All versions except xp is good..Don't partner with other vendors for firewall,make avast IS firewall just an enhancement to windows firewall like Trend Micro or even better ,like those windows(vista onward) firewall notifiers,winows firewall control who just add ability to allow block unreconized programs..

thug4real

« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »
Market category disappeared from avast interface, is normal? I use windows 7 professional 32bit sp1, Avast free 7.0.1474. I reinstalled avast, first appears in the interface, but if you get into the market and give a full scan, it disappears. Anyway I do not mind, it's better without Market category if it were permanently removed would be better. But I'm curious if it is normal.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »
I know there's a setting, I forget where, sorry, to enable/disable the "market" item.  But I haven't a clue what would cause it to disappear on its own, if that's what actually happened.  But if you're happier without it anyway, no problem that I can see.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

thug4real

« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2012, 08:25:39 PM »
I know there's a setting, I forget where, sorry, to enable/disable the "market" item.  But I haven't a clue what would cause it to disappear on its own, if that's what actually happened.  But if you're happier without it anyway, no problem that I can see.
But if there's a setting, i would be happy to know how i can disable the market. But till anybody can say to me how....Happy New Year :)

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
But if there's a setting, i would be happy to know how i can disable the market. But till anybody can say to me how....Happy New Year :)
GUI --> Settings --> Community --> uncheck "Show avast! recommendation features"

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

thug4real

« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »
GUI --> Settings --> Community --> uncheck "Show avast! recommendation features"

DJBone
Thx. Happy user:)

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #221 on: December 31, 2012, 08:45:56 PM »
Thx. Happy user:)
You're welcome! :)

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »
This may have already been covered here, but due to short time frame, just pointing out that issue that many users have when their subscription (paid or free) is coming to an end, they get many reminder pop-ups issued per day; and it gets to be annoying for some of them.  Basic problem is the frequency of the pop-ups and the color of the box.  With some users, red is the equal of rage or anger, and this may set some of them off.  We always have numerous posts about these persistent expiry pop-ups, many in any given month, and using a red dialog box cannot help here; the annoyance could come in when one realises the pop-up is not a threat or danger (red) but only a notification box.  Some of these posts say the OP will remove Avast! solely because of this issue. 

Blue would be a better color.

Apologies for not looking thru this thread before posting, but short of time for now.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2013, 12:29:59 PM »
This may have already been covered here, but due to short time frame, just pointing out that issue that many users have when their subscription (paid or free) is coming to an end, they get many reminder pop-ups issued per day; and it gets to be annoying for some of them.  Basic problem is the frequency of the pop-ups and the color of the box.  With some users, red is the equal of rage or anger, and this may set some of them off.  We always have numerous posts about these persistent expiry pop-ups, many in any given month, and using a red dialog box cannot help here; the annoyance could come in when one realises the pop-up is not a threat or danger (red) but only a notification box.  Some of these posts say the OP will remove Avast! solely because of this issue. 

Blue would be a better color.

Apologies for not looking thru this thread before posting, but short of time for now.
A much simpler solution is to simply renew. That's what I did and the reminders immediately stopped.  ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #224 on: January 03, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »
I have to renew my subscription in June but I haven't received any reminder's yet.