Author Topic: what resident scanner do?  (Read 3952 times)

radhe

what resident scanner do?
« on: January 18, 2005, 07:51:31 PM »
I installed avast home today  my doubt is like firewall is the avast will help us while we doing internet or not how to repair files using avast? clear my doubts

niko

Re: what resident scanner do?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 07:58:56 PM »
Hi Radhe and welcome,
Avast! is not a firewall but an anti virus. To surf you need to add a firewall wich protect your pc from incoming/outgoing traffic. Avast! protect your pc against viruses. ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 09:31:52 PM »
How to repair files using avast?

When you get infected you'll be prompted to repair (clean), delete, move to Cheste or move the file to a specific folder.
avast uses VRDB technology for recovery.
If you click on FAQ in my signature you'll find more about VRDB  :)
The best things in life are free.

radhe

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 03:11:48 PM »
Is avast  offering any firewall facility?

DukeNukem

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »
No.

There are many good firewalls out there such as,

sygate - www.sygate.com
zonealarm - www.zonelabs.com
outpost -  www.agnitum.com
kerio - www.kerio.com

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 03:36:58 PM »
Is avast  offering any firewall facility?

Not now... And if any, in the future, it will be a standalone application, not integrated into avast.
I think it's the best way to get it: two different applications.
avast has right now a module called Network Shield. It is meant as a protection against known Internet worms/attacks. It analyses all network traffic and scans it for malicious contents. It can be also taken as a lightweight firewall (or more precisely, an IDS (Intrusion Detection System).

Network Shield protects you from internet worms that spread themselves via various security holes in your system. Typicaly these kind of viruses don't infect files but instead  they attack running processes on your PC (either Windows components or some server programs like SQL Server, IIS etc.). These kind of attacks are not easily catched by ordinary antivirus during file or mail scanning. It is not a duplicate work with Standard Shield.

Basically, it covers all Internet worms. Such as Win32.CodeRed, Win32.SQLSlammer, Win32.Blaster, in32.Welchia (Nachi) and Win32.Sasser.

Messages like:
Network Shield: blocked "DCOM Exploit" - attack from 81.178.115.162:135/tcp
are due to the RPC/DCOM exploit, which is a vulnerability that allows an attacker to gain access to the destination machine by sending a malformed packet to the DCOM service. It uses the RPC TCP port 135.
The best things in life are free.