Author Topic: I need serious instructions/help!!!  (Read 3290 times)

jordy8420

I need serious instructions/help!!!
« on: January 16, 2005, 11:58:58 PM »
???I desperately need information on how to get rid of Viruses and Trojans!!
I have avast! 4.5 Home Edition, On-Access Scanner, Virus Recovery Database Generator and today I downloaded the Virus Cleaner. Now, I scan my computer usually once a week and so far, I think, all the viruses I've gotten are now gone.  But, I have been getting Trojans!  On the Virus Chest I have 2 trjs..."JS.Gummy.class" and they are in the Documents and Settings Folders.

Now, since I have been scanning with the same avast! On-Access Scanner the entire time I have had this computer, shouldn't all viruses and Trojans -n- such pop up for me to, at least, try to repair??  Well, I had that option with the "Gummy" and it would not allow me to do anything with it. 

But, if I go to the Log Viewer...I have 15 Trojans with the same name location, all received on the same day..but just different times. This Trojan is "Win32:Afcore"
Why would these Trojans get sent 1 way(log viewer) or the other (Virus Chest)??
Do I have to export those files in the Viewer to the Chest?  I don't know how.

I have 2 more Trjs....they are "Win32:Trojan-gen.{Other}" and there are 2 in 2 different places.  And, all of the files that showed in the Log Viewer are in the Warning category!!  So, I have to do something about this...Please Help! ???Nicole

techie101

Re: I need serious instructions/help!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 12:58:40 AM »
I desperately need information on how to get rid of Viruses and Trojans!!
I have avast! 4.5 Home Edition, On-Access Scanner, Virus Recovery Database Generator and today I downloaded the Virus Cleaner.

You have taken the first major step!  To Avast, I would add the following if they are not installed now:  A firewall, Anti-spyware, Pop-up blocker, Spam filter for email
Some recommendations in the order above:  Zone Alarm or Sygate Personal, SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard, K-9 or Spamhilator for Spam OR use Thunderbird email client.

But, I have been getting Trojans!  On the Virus Chest I have 2 trjs..."JS.Gummy.class" and they are in the Documents and Settings Folders.

Actually, if they show in the Virus Chest, they have been "quarantined".  You should delete them.

Now, since I have been scanning with the same avast! On-Access Scanner the entire time I have had this computer, shouldn't all viruses and Trojans -n- such pop up for me to, at least, try to repair??
Yes, it will depending upon what the infection is.  Some repairs cannot be accomplished and others you will not be able to move.  Avast will however alert you to their presence and provide a pathway to where the virus is located.  Manually deletion is the action you should take with these.
Also, if you have Avast set for "silent action" in the Standard Shield, you will not know when Avast moves an infection to the Chest.

This Trojan is "Win32:Afcore"
This is what is referred to as Malware.  It should be removed.  Go to this link and download the free copy of A-2.  It will remove this trojan.
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

Why would these Trojans get sent 1 way(log viewer) or the other (Virus Chest)??
The Log Viewer shows a summary of actions taken by Avast, while the Chest is where Avast puts infected files so they cannot harm your computer.

Do I have to export those files in the Viewer to the Chest?  I don't know how.
No, it is not necessary to do anything more.  However, if they show in the Chest, I would delete them.

"Win32:Trojan-gen.{Other}"
This is a generic name for a family of trojans.  If you run Avast set to Thorough and include Archives, whichever one is there will be detected.  You should then be given the option to Move, Repair or Delete.
Choose Delete.  You won't be able to repair it, nor does it make sense to move it. 
Get rid of it.   ;)

And, all of the files that showed in the Log Viewer are in the Warning category!!  So, I have to do something about this...Please Help! ???Nicole

Here is what each category does in the LV:

Emergency. Dangerous for the whole computer (security, deleting system files).

Alert. Possible danger for the whole computer.

Critical. A critical program error, the program will be terminated.

Error. An error occurred, the program cannot work.

Warning. An error occurred, but the program can work or fix the problem. Notice. Important information, everything is all right.

Info. Just information, everything is OK.

Good luck.  Any problems, come back and let me know.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: I need serious instructions/help!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 02:17:11 PM »
???I desperately need information on how to get rid of Viruses and Trojans!!
Just read the instructions in the malware removal section on my website.
That will tell you.