Author Topic: Firefox 17 aurora and scriptshield  (Read 5253 times)

Alievitan

Firefox 17 aurora and scriptshield
« on: August 31, 2012, 07:08:20 PM »
With the release of Firefox 15, the Mozilla code has subsequently moved on also.  Firefox 16 which the beta channel appears to work fine with script shield.  However the next channel Aurora Firefox 17 and of course 18 nightly does not work with script shield. 

So just heads up to any Avast script shield developers, there is roughly 12 weeks until the general Firefox 17 release.  Firefox 17 is also the the next ESR (extended support release) version, which offers a convenient fallback to future potential compatibility issues with Avast and Firefox. 

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Firefox 17 aurora and scriptshield
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 08:07:39 PM »
These whole point updates are absolutely crazy a whole point program update should have massive changes. Looking at the change logs and my actual use of firefox there seems to be zero improvement, after all that is what I would expect from a program update. For me is is behaving little different to firefox 6, absolute bonkers these updates...

It is almost as crazy as the Google Chrome update stream.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:16:18 PM »
The worst part at all, for me, it's that here, in my country, most banks use plugins (for security) and they're not updated in that speed.
Consequence: Firefox is being banned in corporate environment and people move to the "stable" IE.
Unbelievable... There aren't such improvements for the versioning increase. Bad policy.
The best things in life are free.

user_1000

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:45:40 PM »
The worst part at all, for me, it's that here, in my country, most banks use plugins (for security) and they're not updated in that speed.
Consequence: Firefox is being banned in corporate environment and people move to the "stable" IE.
Unbelievable... There aren't such improvements for the versioning increase. Bad policy.

Hmm, why they don't use Firefox ESR?
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html

PatP3005

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 12:37:28 AM »
I'm going to assume (I hope correctly) that the original post from Alievitan explains why I received a Behavior Shield Question when logging onto a Vista machine just now.

What I don't understand is anything said in the last paragraph.

Firefox 17 is also the the next ESR (extended support release) version, which offers a convenient fallback to future potential compatibility issues with Avast and Firefox. 

Does this mean I can expect a BSQ every day? Should I allow the action? Deny? Does this mean I have the option of installing an ESR - which sounds like it might be less buggy than daily updates? I'm obviously not a developer, just a lowly end-user.  Any clarification would be great. ???

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »

Hmm, why they don't use Firefox ESR?
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html

Some do. ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 09:44:43 AM »

I've been warning about this when they entered this idiotic numbers race nonsense. In 99% of cases, plugins and addons work just fine, it's just the version number that breaks everything. IF you hack the numbers, everything works perfectly fine most of the time.

They really have to do something about it because this is idiotic. They still haven't got it that Chrome can do that because extensions don't depend on browser version numbers. They just work. The ones in Firefox don't...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Alievitan

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 09:55:10 AM »
I am not going to argue the merits of Mozilla release schedule, I just gave a heads up that Firefox 17 will break script shield so if Avast wants to look at the technical issues then they can.  As for ESR, the current version is based on Firefox 10, and it had been my fallback earlier when Firefox 12 broke script shield.  The ESR version allowed me to use a secure firefox version with script shield enabled until Avast was able to tweak scriptshield to work again.  When Firefox 17 ESR releases then Mozilla will discontinue support for Firefox 10 ESR.       

Because of the long support cycle of ESR, if Avast had to choose just one Firefox version to make scriptshield work for, ESR ver 17 is the one.  If any changes in the immediate future after ver 17 breaks scriptshield, then people who want to use a secure Firefox version with scriptshield can fall back to ESR 17.  That's my train of thought anyways. 

For more info on ESR http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Alievitan

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »

I've been warning about this when they entered this idiotic numbers race nonsense. In 99% of cases, plugins and addons work just fine, it's just the version number that breaks everything. IF you hack the numbers, everything works perfectly fine most of the time.

They really have to do something about it because this is idiotic. They still haven't got it that Chrome can do that because extensions don't depend on browser version numbers. They just work. The ones in Firefox don't...

I believe since Firefox 10 I think, Mozilla has set all addons to compatible by default.  So Firefox will assume it is compatible unless the addon author explicitly says it isn't.  They should had this compatibility policy earlier, but Mozilla was overcautious, they wanted to guarantee user experience by making addon authors actively check their addons for compatibility, but it blew up in their faces big time