Author Topic: html.bankfraud-EU [trj] detected when exporting bookmark file from Firefox/Chrom  (Read 2248 times)

Other Dave

The current free version of Avast has been dutifully protecting my computer for a while, blocking almost all malicious threats before any have been able to infect my system. So I was surprised and confused when backing up my computer recently I exported my web browser bookmarks into a html file and Avast popped up indicating the file was infected with html.Bankfraud-EU Trojan and moved it automatically to the virus chest.

I presumed if exporting a bookmark file was generating a Trojan threat, the root infection must reside somewhere else on my system so I have since completed numerous scans with Avast, Malware Bytes, Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy and no scan have found any sign of a root infection. I have almost a mirror of my system running on a second laptop where after checking I have found the same issue exists there. This has lead me to question if there is in fact an infection in my system, or is it an issue with Avast thinking the exported bookmark file is a threat when it isn't. So i uninstalled Avast and reinstalled it the problem still persisted. I ran a boot scan which only found one infection in my 'Download' folder saying setup.exe file was infected by win32:Install Core-CI [PuP], which I quarantined in the virus chest, but I think is an unrelated issue as it hasn't stopped Avast catching any exported bookmark file and labeling it with a bankfraud Trojan.

Has anyone had this issue, or can tell me if my system is infected or not, and how to fix it?

Apologies if this issue has already been discussed but I have spent a lot of hours investigating and trying to solve this problem - and while there are numerous solutions for a number of Trojans titled 'Bankfraud' I have found none that specifically address the html.Bankfraud-EU Trojan in relation to infected web browser bookmark files - and some of the solutions require accessing the registry, which as a novice user I am reluctant to do without knowing if in fact the problem is with my system or with Avast. As a final observation I decided to see if the same problem existed with a different antivirus program so I removed Avast and installed AVG which doesn't recognise any threat when I export bookmark files. Any held would be greatly appreciated.

true indian

well if the other scanner like MBAM dont find anything..then u must be clean and safe..avast must have detected some infection remanent.

please re-install avast...it far way better than avg....avg is a joke!! ;D