Author Topic: AVAST! just won't stop!  (Read 5636 times)

Mar

AVAST! just won't stop!
« on: January 19, 2005, 04:42:30 AM »
Hi Guys...
I'm new to the forum but have had Avast! for almost a year. It has worked beautifully until now but it doesn't seem to want to quit scanning when it's supposed to. After running a scan on my C and D drives, it should stop and give results,but it jumps back to C drive and starts scanning the whole thing all over again.
Has this happened to anyone else?
Mar.

Spyros

Re: AVAST! just won't stop!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 10:25:57 AM »
Hi Mar & welcome.
Have you tried a repair of avast? Go to "uninstall programs", press "uninstall" on avast and then "repair" - note that you have to be connected to the Internet to do a repair.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 01:23:43 PM »
What type of scan are you using (e.g. how did you initiate it)?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 01:37:05 PM »
I've heard such a thing a few times before... but we were not able to reproduce this behavior (and have no idea why such a thing would happen).
Could you please give us as much detail as you can?
E.g., what type of scan was it (as DavidR asked) - archives on/off, sensitivity... was it scan of "local disks", or rather "folder selection" with C: and D: drive selected? Does anything change if you change the scan type, or select a different area (C: drive only, for example)?

You can turn on the creation of the report file and select everything (even "OK files") to be included there. The report will certainly be quite big, but it would be interesting to see if it really scanned the whole drive, or maybe restarted somewhere before the end...

What kind of partitions do you have? Any SUBST-ed drives, virtual folders... or so?

Mar

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 02:28:27 AM »
Thanks for the help,Guys.
Spyros..I did the repair and it seems to have helped somewhat. Time will tell with a few more scans.
David and Igor..I initiated  scan now from the menu and tried all three levels with and without archived files. It still jumps back and forth between drives and rescans some of the files,but at least it completes the task and shuts off. It didn't leave a log report after the last scan except for time,# of folders and files,size and the fact that there is no infection.
If this persists...is it advisable to uninstall the program and start over?
Thanks again...Mar.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 09:35:33 AM »
I cannot imagine avast! being "corrupted" in such a way that his behavior may occur - i.e. I don't think repairs / reinstalls can help (but as I said, I have no idea why this would happen in the first place, so I may be wrong).
Can you tell us something about your partitions, please? (filesystems, sizes, ...)
What is your operating system, btw?

Thanks!

Mar

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 04:07:42 PM »
Hi Igor...

I have to drop out for a while(family emerg.) but will come back with the info yiu asked for when I can. Will do my best to keep you posted.

Mar.