Author Topic: All user documents and settings lost after computer reset  (Read 2576 times)

pm

All user documents and settings lost after computer reset
« on: January 19, 2005, 06:45:10 AM »
Hello everybody,

One of my friends is using avast! 4

Yesterday after computer hangs and reboot, all xp personal parameters disappeared.

After looking in documents and settings directory, all sub-directories are empty.

A new user directory (same as old one but with .test extension) was created.

Can someome please tell me if there's a relation between this problem and avast and if i can get all my files back ?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: All user documents and settings lost after computer reset
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 02:19:23 PM »
There is no relation with Windows Registry problem and avast.
It could be a virus and, in this case, avast could have done (should have done) something.
But, I had this error in the past and it was due to Windows Registry corruption. The keys that identify the user could not be read and Windows started new ones. When I tried, in the past, to recover it I browsed the files into the C:\Documents and Settings like an Administrator, save the 'useful' files to another folder and start the configuration all over again  :-\

After this, I remove the 'old' files of the user.test profile.
The best things in life are free.

Gillie2tat

Re: All user documents and settings lost after computer reset
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 02:57:23 PM »
I would strongly suggest updating Avast and running a full system scan with security set to high and archive files checked, run a couple of scans with online scanners (such as Trend and Symantec) as backup, and you might want to run the Avast free tool as well which can deal with a number of problems not dealt with by Avast itself.  Then run Spybot and Ad Aware and then Disk Cleanup and Defrag.  And clean out e-mail program Sent Items and Trash.  After that back your files up regularly.

Good luck!  Hope you get everything back OK.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 03:00:56 PM by Gillie2tat »