Author Topic: Avast scan not working  (Read 11972 times)

netfreak

Avast scan not working
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:50:28 AM »
I have installed Avast and am running a Full scan. I have often read that people are able to perform a full scan in under 1 hour or so. For me it has never been the case. I have tried running a full scan on a couple of occasions for like 3 -5 hours and have given up on it as it was going no where. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong ? My hard disk total capacity is only 160 GB of which i 120 odd is free. So cant figure out the issue.

I am attaching a pic of my present scan. It says 0% of scan completed after 40 odd mins.

Edit : I am not able to attach the pic, But that's the case.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:56:02 AM by netfreak »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast scan not working
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 10:00:31 AM »
Have you changed any of the default settings ? my C drive which is 70Gb used and E drive 25Gb used scans in roughly 6 minute's.

netfreak

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:09:10 AM »
I have only set it to Silent/Gaming mode. That apart i am on default settings. My C drive has around 55 GB only. I am not able to figure out why it is taking long.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:25:17 AM »
Is there any other security software running realtime ?

Some information about your system spec's could also help us diagnose if there maybe any system related issues.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:31:21 AM by craigb »

netfreak

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »
Is there any other security software running realtime ?

No Avast is the only Security software running real time on my system. I do have Malwarebytes, but i run it once a week, not in real time though. I just checked the status of my Full scan now. Its been 1 hour and 28 minutes and this far it has completed 8 % of the scan.

PS : If i may add, I am using the latest edition Avast Free Antivirus. 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:40:35 AM »
What version of windows do you have and how much ram is installed, im thinking there maybe lots of programs running in the background using up lots of memory ???

If all else fails try a repair of avast and reboot to see if that helps or next step would be a clean install of avast but it sounds like a lack memory to me so far causing the system to bog down.

Are you sure that this feature below has not been ticked
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 10:45:44 AM by craigb »

netfreak

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »
What version of windows do you have and how much ram is installed, im thinking there maybe lots of programs running in the background using up lots of memory ???

If all else fails try a repair of avast and reboot to see if that helps or next step would be a clean install of avast but it sounds like a lack memory to me so far causing the system to bog down.

I am using Windows Vista Home Basic.  This is a Core 2 duo processor with 2gb RAM. Presently i am only running the Avast scan.

I had just updated to the latest version of Avast and running the scan. So that ain't helping i guess. So then i ll quit the scan and re install the software. Run a scan and report back.

But are you sure that it roughly takes 6 to 10 minutes only for a full scan considering my data is only around 60gb. Even on the free software ?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 10:56:47 AM »

But are you sure that it roughly takes 6 to 10 minutes only for a full scan considering my data is only around 60gb. Even on the free software ?
Well thats the speed for me but it's a fairly fast system im using, iv got a win7 2Gb ram here at the moment that im fixing for a friend and 80Gb scans in 12 minutes for her.

If you check your task manager how many processes are running and whats your physical memory usage ?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »
What about quick scan...how does that run?

netfreak

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »

If all else fails try a repair of avast and reboot to see if that helps or next step would be a clean install of avast

I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it. This time around i was able to complete a full scan in 2 hrs and 20 minutes. I guess i ll take that although it is much longer than average time.

Thanks for the support.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 06:04:15 PM »
Personally I wouldn't be using the Full scan as the Quick scan scans files that are either targeted by malware and present an immediate risk if infected.

- With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. If for some reason my system wasn't on, no big deal I will catch up on the next scheduled scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security