Author Topic: Java Update  (Read 4470 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
Java Update
« on: September 02, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »
Just opened Firefox and was advised to update Java.  Showed I had both a 32 bit and 64 bit and said I would have to download the new version which is version 7 twice   The version it showed I should download is supposed to be more secure. 

What should I do?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Java Update
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
If you require Java then you should update it to be more secure as the new version fixes a few vulnerabilities.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=9671.msg834969#msg834969

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 11:16:33 PM »
And whenever you do not have an absolute need to have Java installed, better do an uninstall.
Or use firefox browser with NoScripts extension installed to be protected against existing and future Java vulnerabilities,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 12:38:01 AM »
And whenever you do not have an absolute need to have Java installed, better do an uninstall.
Or use firefox browser with NoScripts extension installed to be protected against existing and future Java vulnerabilities,

polonus

As I mentioned in another post I can't access our bank accounts without having Java.

What is NoScripts?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:39:49 AM by -midnight »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 01:27:21 AM »
NoScript is an extension for firefox that will block javascript until you give permission to allow javascript to run
primairily for the main site (click allow) and on sites that you do not trust or think are suspicious do not allow any.
So you toggle to allow javascript for sites you trust as far as needed for the site to function,
the rest and trackers and other non-main links stay neatly blocked, also for the malcreants...
Malicious javascript run could lead to java script malware run.
Just get accustomed to the use of it and you will nver wanna be without that solid protection!

NoScript site is here: http://noscript.net/
It could be installed from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/noscript/
So you are secure to existing attacks and those not even thought of in the far away future....
Remember javascript is the royal road of malcode into your browser...

On Google Chrome one could use a combination of add-ons like NotScripts and Better Pop Up Blocker,
Also the additional install  of AdBlocker Plus with a subscription to malware domains list will protect you,

polonus

« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 01:29:58 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:21:21 AM »
NoScript is an extension for firefox that will block javascript until you give permission to allow javascript to run
primairily for the main site (click allow) and on sites that you do not trust or think are suspicious do not allow any.
So you toggle to allow javascript for sites you trust as far as needed for the site to function,
the rest and trackers and other non-main links stay neatly blocked, also for the malcreants...
Malicious javascript run could lead to java script malware run.
Just get accustomed to the use of it and you will nver wanna be without that solid protection!

NoScript site is here: http://noscript.net/
It could be installed from here: https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/noscript/
So you are secure to existing attacks and those not even thought of in the far away future....
Remember javascript is the royal road of malcode into your browser...

On Google Chrome one could use a combination of add-ons like NotScripts and Better Pop Up Blocker,
Also the additional install  of AdBlocker Plus with a subscription to malware domains list will protect you,

polonus

Just checked my control panel to look at all the programs I have installed and it doesn't show Javascript, only Java.  Now I'm really confused.  What is the difference between Javascript and Java?

iroc9555

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:35:09 AM »
I believed Asyn answered that question here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=104383.msg835733#msg835733

Kilia

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 05:18:53 AM »

polonus
How does one "uninstall" Java?  ( I have it disabled in Firefox right now)
I use Win XP Pro with Firefox 15.0
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 05:22:39 AM by Kilia »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 06:48:46 AM »

How does one "uninstall" Java?  ( I have it disabled in Firefox right now)
Go to remove programs and uninstall from there.

Kilia

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 07:02:25 AM »
Thank you craigb.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 07:16:03 AM »