Author Topic: Web sites  (Read 7952 times)

FjT

Web sites
« on: April 04, 2005, 03:21:54 PM »
Since the newest version was loaded (4.6?), whenever I try to go to certain websites (Ebay being the most notable) I have to disable Avast all together to get to them.  If I dont disable I cannot get to the site at all.  Is there a setting I need to change?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Web sites
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 03:23:20 PM »
What exactly happens when you "cannot get to the site"?
What build of avast! do you have?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 06:06:32 PM »
I have no problem accessing ebay with web shield enabled. Using Firefox browser and Outpost Pro firewall.

What browser and firewall are you using?
Are you getting any error messages, etc?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

FjT

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 04:19:52 AM »
I thought it might be Firefox so I upgraded to the newest version and it still does it.  I loaded up Internet Explorer and it didnt happen.  What happens is that I try to go to ebay and it just sit there doing nothing.  I'll try retyping it and same thing...just sits there waiting for ebay.  I turn off Avast completely and it goes right to the site.  Several times over the past few weeks I have gotten a message that says the page contains no data but now that Im looking for it it doesnt pop up.

StyleWarz

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 02:42:29 PM »
That's pretty weird, pls tell us what Firewall you use and wich OS... Are you running any other AV's or background programs for example anti-spyware?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 02:43:23 PM »
Surely if you can connect to ebay using IE with web shield on but not with firefox and web shield on would indicate something in firefox's interaction. When you say latest version, do you mean the 1.0.3 beta version or 1.0.2?

Have you tried changing the Connection settings HTTP Proxy in Firefox > Tools Options > General Tab to 127.0.0.1 port 12080? I personally don't need to do this, firefox works well with web shield and outpost pro firewall.

The pop-up window with the page contains no data happens to me on occasion and is usually due to a dropped connection.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 02:49:22 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Skram0

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 12:08:00 AM »
Since the newest version was loaded (4.6?), whenever I try to go to certain websites (Ebay being the most notable) I have to disable Avast all together to get to them.  If I dont disable I cannot get to the site at all.  Is there a setting I need to change?
Which exact version of Avast are you using? I've recently discovered a problem I was having, and another user, where version 4.6.623 was blocking connections made to a web site. This might be your issue too. To test this theory, use the same browser winder you're having problems in while Avast is turned on, and go to www.verizonwireless.com .  If you get the same message, "Waiting for..." and it doesn't load, and when you disable Avast and reload the browser and you're able to view it, then you can try the latest pre-release version 4.6.635 posted in the forum. This has solved my problem of dropped connections to web sites. But you may just want to wait for the next full release of Avast, as ya never know what other issues 635 may have. But at least you shouldn't have the SAME issue. ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 12:10:30 AM by Skram0 »

Name User

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 10:51:12 AM »
I have this same problem, which is why I just came here and registered. I'm running 4.6.623 free edition, with Zone Alarm free edition. I'm using Internet Explorer's latest version, and XP Home. I did recently add SP2 to my OS, I hope it's not the problem, because it's a bear to uninstall. I've noticed there are a fair number of protection programs that conflict with it in some way.

Recently I've had problems with downloads from certain sites not coming through unless I disable my protection, and certain sites not fully loading without doing so. At first I thought it was mostly to do with the firewall, but tonight I tested the Avast to see if just disabling that worked, and found it to be the cause of the problem.

I can log on to that Verizon site you mentioned though, with the Avast running, so it may not be a good example to test this problem with. I'm using Qwest DSL, I don't know if that has anything to do with it, just thought I'd mention it.

This is the first problem I've ever had with this antivirus, and it's got me feeling vulnerable, especially when logging on to ad based forums, or downloading very large files.

I may just take a chance on that beta you mentioned, do you remember the name of the thread it was located in by any chance? Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 05:36:47 PM »
I have this same problem, which is why I just came here and registered. I'm running 4.6.623 free edition, with Zone Alarm free edition. I'm using Internet Explorer's latest version, and XP Home. I did recently add SP2 to my OS, I hope it's not the problem, because it's a bear to uninstall. I've noticed there are a fair number of protection programs that conflict with it in some way.
XP SP2, avast and ZoneAlarm can live togheter... A lot of users have this configuration.

Did you try what David suggested?
The best things in life are free.

Name User

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 10:58:10 PM »
No, the firewall settings are a bit too complicated for me, that's why I just use a free version. I finally found the link to 4.6.635, and it seems to have solved the problem of not being able to get on the forum I was talking about. I've not yet tested it for the site I was having problems with downloads yet.

I'm so glad it's not SP2, I've tried to uninstall it before, and had problems.

Thanks for your concern, I've never experienced such great help for a program that can be used free. I was told about Avast by a guy that runs a business selling high end gaming computers, and he says he installs Avast free edition on all the systems he sells. ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 11:02:39 PM by Name User »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 04:12:20 AM »
No, the firewall settings are a bit too complicated for me, that's why I just use a free version. I finally found the link to 4.6.635, and it seems to have solved the problem of not being able to get on the forum I was talking about. I've not yet tested it for the site I was having problems with downloads yet.
You can update now and get 4.6.639  8)

I'm so glad it's not SP2, I've tried to uninstall it before, and had problems.
No!! For sure, it's not SP2.

Thanks for your concern, I've never experienced such great help for a program that can be used free. I was told about Avast by a guy that runs a business selling high end gaming computers, and he says he installs Avast free edition on all the systems he sells. ;)
Good, but say to your friend he can't sell computers with the Home version... It should be installed only by the final HOME and NON-COMMERCIAL user and not by the reseller...  :-[ :'(
avast is such a wonderful software, please, don't let the guys starving without some money for the Pro version  :P

Name User

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 07:39:27 AM »
Good to know there's a 4.6.639, I know I just seemed delighted about the 4.6.635 beta, but I just found it wouldn't even let me on Explorer!

I used to get popups on startup indicating new versions were available, or the program would just update itself, but maybe it's only the virus definitions that are updated automatically.

I may have been mistaken about the actual procedure the guy I was referring to uses, for his customers. He may just be referring them to it, or setting them up with a link they can DL and install with. I don't know him real well, as I only chatted with him on the phone back and forth a few times. He runs a fairly well known business among high end gamers, and I'm sure he's aware of the do's and don'ts of using the software legally. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 07:48:05 AM by Name User »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 01:59:39 PM »
Good to know there's a 4.6.639, I know I just seemed delighted about the 4.6.635 beta, but I just found it wouldn't even let me on Explorer!
What? 4.6.635 works nicelly... What happened?

I used to get popups on startup indicating new versions were available, or the program would just update itself, but maybe it's only the virus definitions that are updated automatically.
No, the program update is 'spread' over a week to all users (avoid server flooding). It's automatic as the virus deffinitions.
But, 4.6.639 is still beta. Instructions here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12320.msg103918#msg103918
Maybe, after updating to 4.6.635, just invoke program update to get the last one.