Author Topic: Where do you start?!!  (Read 2884 times)

SCORPIONINBLUE

Where do you start?!!
« on: January 19, 2005, 11:55:14 PM »
I have a friend who's p.c. is in critical condition!!  It's being devoured by ad/spyware bugs and I sure is probably overrun  with viruses and Trojans.  I went over to start first aid, but I gotta tell you I got nowhere, he has AOL and  after 15 agonizing minutes I was able to finally reach www.download.com, via Explorer.   My plan was to summon the aid of Ad-aware and Spybot, however when I clicked on the downloads I got no response!!  The forces of evil seemed to be blocking my efforts.  What is the very first step toward recovering a p.c. this far gone?  Should I have emptied the file cache first?   Can you guys please give me a general outline of a good procedure to follow??!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Where do you start?!!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 12:05:44 AM »
For someone with such a mess with malware and probably virus infection, going on-line isn't recommended. Why not take a CD with a bunch of useful utilities, which you can download or use copies that you have recently (these will be more up to date). avast! (boot scan if OS allows), AdAware, Spybot S&D, HiJackThis, Eddy's HJT Analyser, these would be a good start.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 12:07:35 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security