Author Topic: Avast stuck in the middle of the scheduled scan on a specific file  (Read 4918 times)

dor123

Avast stuck in the middle of the scheduled scan on a specific file
« on: September 04, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »
Hello:
My Avast 7.0.1466 Free, stuck in the middle of the scheduled scan on a specific file, and not continues to the next file (See attachment).
Why this is happening?

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast stuck in the middle of the scheduled scan on a specific file
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 02:11:44 PM »
hey it could be a large file it scannes do you get the same think if you try a normal full scan?
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:24:44 PM »
Is that reproducible?
When the scan stops, does the avast! service process (AvastSvc.exe) use any CPU?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 02:34:56 PM »
What are the settings for your custom 'Perfect system scan' ?
The greater the sensitivity, scanning for PUPs, Archives files, etc. will make it much longer.

Why is it that you want to do this custom scan ?
- With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on.

Essentially either pre-defined, Quick or Full System scan should cover the more important elements to be scanned.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dor123

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »
Is that reproducible?
When the scan stops, does the avast! service process (AvastSvc.exe) use any CPU?
The file is small. Avast generally stuck towards the end of the scan (Between 90% to 98%), at a random file, and it stuck permanently, so I have little options, but to stop it manually.

DavidR: The setting for this custom scan are: Scan Rootkits (Full scan), auto-start programs (All users) and all harddisks.
Scanning for PUPs is disabled, because of the frequent false positives, this option causes.
Archives are scanned, and the heuristic sensitiviy is on the default, and the option "Test whole files" is checked.
The scan is scheduled weekly every tuesday, at 14:00-15:00.

Is that reproducible?
AvastSvc.exe indeed seems to use much of the CPU during the scan anyway, because of the high level of scan priority I setted this scan, so I think that when Avast stuck toward the end of the scan, this process slows down my computer.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 03:33:40 PM »
AvastSvc.exe is the process doing the scanning, so it certainly will use CPU during the scan.
My question was - does it still use CPU after the scan gets stuck?

dor123

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 03:50:51 PM »
igor: Yes. As Avast slows my computer when it gets stuck.