Author Topic: Is my system infected by the sobig-f worm?  (Read 4662 times)

hotasy2k

Is my system infected by the sobig-f worm?
« on: September 03, 2003, 11:25:14 PM »
Today i received an email(together with 33 other email and turn out 28 of them r infected with sobig-f-as detected by avast)) from trendmicro IT-Support stating that they received an email with attachment  which is infected with the famous sobig-f virus from me, i am 100% sure i did not send that email. Imediately i thought my system might be infected with this virus, By the way, i'm currently using avast 4  Free version anti-virus with the latest virus definition file,
i did a through scan and found nothing and i also download the latest avast virus scanner tool to scan also found nothing, checked my registry also did not find the registry entry entered by this virus. Next thing come to my mind is- if someone who is infected with this virus, and have my email address in his/her addressbook, will this virus use my email address as sender to other people?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2003, 11:25:56 PM by hotasy2k »

Pavel Baudis

Re:Is my system infected by the sobig-f worm?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 11:41:29 PM »
As you might see in the virus description on our web site, Sobig-F (and many other "modern" viruses) forges the sender's email address. It actually finds two addresses on the victim's computer and uses one as a recipient and the other as a sender (some viruses combine the sender's from two different addresses so it even does not exist in many cases). Wrongly configured mail scanners (usually on the mail gateways) then send the notification to totally innocent people  :(

If latest avast! (and cleaner as well) says you are not infected by Sobig-F, then you are not  :D !

Hope this helps
Pavel