Author Topic: Removing Avast Free  (Read 7684 times)

snowshed

Removing Avast Free
« on: May 11, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »
This is not going to be a rant about Avast.    ;D

I'm trying out different AV software products for the Mac, to see which one (or possibly ones) I prefer.

How can I tell if *all* remnants of Avast have been removed after using the uninstall routine?

Where should I look for things left over that should have been removed?

Thanks.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Removing Avast Free
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 02:56:45 AM »
The preferred way to uninstall is to choose uninstall avast from the program menu. Once it is uninstalled you can check for the leftovers at:
/Library/Application Support/Avast/ And obviously the avast.app file should be gone from the applications folder

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 04:15:36 PM »
This is not going to be a rant about Avast.    ;D

I'm trying out different AV software products for the Mac, to see which one (or possibly ones) I prefer.

How can I tell if *all* remnants of Avast have been removed after using the uninstall routine?

Where should I look for things left over that should have been removed?

Thanks.
Hallo,
in this version we did the best to wipe ALL avast-related stuff from your computer. Most things are wiped directly when installation ends, but some must be postponed to the moment when relevant user (which was using avast and web-rep) logs in.

So, just do uninstall, and potentially, delete also ~/Library/Application\ Support/Avast directory forusers that have used avast in the past. That's all.

Regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

webrephater

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:09:21 PM »
... in this version we did the best to wipe ALL avast-related stuff from your computer. Most things are wiped directly when installation ends, but some must be postponed to the moment when relevant user (which was using avast and web-rep) logs in.
So, just do uninstall, and potentially, delete also ~/Library/Application\ Support/Avast directory forusers that have used avast in the past. That's all.
Something like this coming from a moderator is quite astonishing. I found still more than 20 Avast files or folders on my computer after uninstalling Avast from the Avast menu and logging out and logging in again. See attached screen shot. That is far away from "wiping all Avast-related stuff from your computer".

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »
... in this version we did the best to wipe ALL avast-related stuff from your computer. Most things are wiped directly when installation ends, but some must be postponed to the moment when relevant user (which was using avast and web-rep) logs in.
Something like this coming from a moderator is quite astonishing. I found still more than 20 Avast files or folders on my computer after uninstalling Avast from the Avast menu and logging out and logging in again. See attached screen shot. That is far away from "wiping all Avast-related stuff from your computer".

Well, let's analyse those files:
- *.playlist aren't files created by Avast, but cached system hints - automatically maintained (and later purged) by MacOS
- /tmp/avast* files will be wiped upon next reboot - they are left there right after uinstall to allow detailed insight/analysis into the uninstall process
- /Users/macuser/Library subdirs are a bit questionable:
-- user might have dual boot, with shared home volume. one system might contain avast installed, second one not. thus, just rebooting to the second one will invalidate all settings of the first one.
-- some users prefer "raw updates" - uninstal the app completely, then install from scratch. it's quite nice to let preferences survive this step.

At the moment, preferences ale keps (they are just few kilobytes with precious data) in user's home. We might consider different strategy, but it has to be a bit tricky, with regards to those 2 scenarios, mentioned above.
But, thanks for reporting this :).

Regards,
pc
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:35:24 PM by zilog »
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)